Urethane glue shelf life

I had bought a small bottle of Sumo, urethane glue about 8 months ago and found a project for it today. I was shocked when I found the bottle to be firm and, when I opened it the glue was more firm than usual. I got what I needed and pitched the rest. That was a pretty expensive bottle considering that I only got one use.

Finally, the question. What IS the shelf life of **unopened** urethane glue? I had a similar sized bottle of Gorilla Glue and it lasted much longer even though it had been used and there was air in the bottle. I did store it on its head but still...

TIA, Chuck

Reply to
C & E

what does the label say? what does the person at the other end of the 800 # that is on the label say? does the label say how to reconstitute it?

i recently had a tube of ge silicone fail to harden even though it was before the expiration date. they replaced it for free.

Reply to
charlie

Traces of moisture will cause isocyanate glues to gel. Even plastic is permeable even when tightly sealed. I would expect an expiration date for unopened material.

Reply to
Frank

Frank wrote in news:4bidnR3vJotA-iLanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

ISTR Wood Magazine saying one year,UNopened. (trouble is,you don't know how long the bottle was on the store shelf.)

They have done some glue tests,and you may be able to search their web site.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I hadn't thought of an expiration date. The glue went with the trash so, lesson learned. I am sceptical of refunds since so many of them ask that you send the product back. I'll check and thanks for a reality check.

Reply to
C & E

About 6 months. It reacts with moisture.

Reply to
Phisherman

Out of curiosity, I see no date on my Gorilla glue but do have a can of urethane foam that states remainder of product in can after opening may not be usable after 3 weeks.

I'm still somewhat dismayed about packaging some household products in plastic. Materials sealed in glass or metal will last much longer because glass and metal are not permeable.

Reply to
Frank

************************** Ditto that, Frank. My Gorilla, which is older and opened, but stored on its head, is fine. Not the slightest sign of hardening.
Reply to
C & E

replying to C & E, donald girod wrote: Gorilla glue has gelled in an unopened container stored upside down after about a year. Gorilla glue containers are NOT sealed, at least the small 2oz ones. Unscrew the cap and you're ready to go (or not, if the stuff has set up). However my experience has been variable, with some gorilla glue lasting a long time after opening and other stuff totally failing. I think the only answer is to use it frequently, or put up with a lot of waste. It is clearly to the advantage of the manufacturer to have the stuff not last. Urethane glue is really what you want in some cases (not too many), and so I put up with it.

Reply to
donald girod