Upstairs Radiator chirping every 1-2 minutes

I recently was without heat, my inspection (very amateur) of the boiler led me to believe we had a frozen water paper somewhere.

My house has two zones, upstairs and downstairs. Both set to auto, once I set to manual the heat began working and appears to still be working.

However, the radiator upstairs has been chirping. It has been about

12 hours since I set to manual. I did promptly set back to auto seconds after setting to manual and hearing what sounded like hot water pumped out from the boiler.

Is this something I need to worry about? I have tried bleeding this radiator and there was a bit of air, but not alot. Do I need to let it bleed for a long time?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
aaronboock

Bleed it until there is no more air

Reply to
RBM

Call a heating co. and have them install an automatic bleeder. No more worries.

Reply to
Bob M.

WAs it that cold in the house? It takes a long time for the pipes and the water in the pipes to get below 32.

Even if it froze, as long as it didn't crack any water pipes, that's not a problem, afaik.

Interesting. I don't have hot water heat, but for some reason it takes 2 or 3 minutes for my oil/forced air furnace to turn on, after I turn it on. I don't know what it's doing during that time.

But if the upstairs was cold, the heat should have gone on eventually on automatic.

An electronic radiator? :)

We're talking about hot water heat, right. I had that for 2 years and it never made any noise. When the radiators needed bleeding, they were cold but quiet. I guess maybe -- I forget -- there was a bit of pounding when bleeding the air let water in quickly.

Why did you not want to hear hot water pumped out from the boiler? BTW, and here I could be wrong, is it called a boiler if it is a "hot water" system? I thought boilers made steam, but of course nomenclature is not always perfectly logical.

Until the water comes out. I suppose you could wait a day and try bleeding it some more, but bleeding is not the goal. A hot radiator is the goal. Feel the radiator and see if it is hot, or at least warm, all the way to to the top. Has the room warmed up? I guess that is the ultimate goal.

Reply to
mm