Upsizing chainsaw bar and chain

Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16 inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?

Thanks

Reply to
yddraig

on 7/25/2007 11:29 AM yddraig said the following:

Longer bar, longer cut, more HP needed. Will the HP of your Poulan handle the extra work?

Reply to
willshak

Engine size is 38cc, I have no idea what the horsepower rating is.

Roy

Reply to
yddraig

Worst thing that could happen is you burn out the motor.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Husqavarna's 45cc chainsaws go up to 18". Maybe Poulan wasn't kidding.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Extremely unlikely, IME. You might be able to make the clutch slip.

barry

no.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Upsizing to too big a bar and chain will make the chain not work optimally, bogging the motor down even further. 38cc wont have the power to handle a 20 inch bar (which will also probably have a much deeper, more aggressive chain). It will probably run, and make the chain go, but I doubt you'd make very much progress actually cutting - very slow going. Also, a larger bar/chain will probably mean a

*thicker* cha> Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16
Reply to
Andrew Duane

For the horsepower I'd say your saw was about maxxed out at 16"

Reply to
beecrofter

It won't do any damage but probably won't cut well. There is an out though.

Use a full skip chain on the 20" bar and that should cut acceptably well. Won't set any speed records but should cut.

I am using a full skip 25" bar/chain on my Stihl ms310 to cut the big stuff. On regular it carries a 20" full house chain.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

There are chains which do not have as many cutters per inch on them. There is a "half skip" chain and a "full skip" chain.

With these you can have a longer bar and use the same amount of power to cut.

Chain types...

Bill