Upsizing chainsaw bar and chain

Are there any problems when replacing a chainsaw bar say from 16 inches to 20 inches? I have a PoulanPro 3800 series and would like to add a larger bar (occasionally) to cut larger logs. Poulan says that the saw was not designed for a 20 inch bar (of course they do), am I doing anything inherently risky by upsizing?
Thanks
on 7/25/2007 11:29 AM yddraig said the following:

Longer bar, longer cut, more HP needed. Will the HP of your Poulan handle the extra work?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Worst thing that could happen is you burn out the motor.
Steve

Engine size is 38cc, I have no idea what the horsepower rating is.
Roy
yddraig wrote:

Husqavarna's 45cc chainsaws go up to 18". Maybe Poulan wasn't kidding.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Extremely unlikely, IME. You might be able to make the clutch slip.
no.
--
Steve Barker

"yddraig" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Upsizing to too big a bar and chain will make the chain not work optimally, bogging the motor down even further. 38cc wont have the power to handle a 20 inch bar (which will also probably have a much deeper, more aggressive chain). It will probably run, and make the chain go, but I doubt you'd make very much progress actually cutting - very slow going. Also, a larger bar/chain will probably mean a *thicker* chain which won't fit around your clutch. I just went through this with my Husqvarna. Replacing the clutch would have worked within reason (there's only so much room in there for the clutch), but at that point I was more than halfway to just buying a bigger saw that was built for what I needed.

For the horsepower I'd say your saw was about maxxed out at 16"

It won't do any damage but probably won't cut well. There is an out though.
Use a full skip chain on the 20" bar and that should cut acceptably well. Won't set any speed records but should cut.
I am using a full skip 25" bar/chain on my Stihl ms310 to cut the big stuff. On regular it carries a 20" full house chain.
Harry K
There are chains which do not have as many cutters per inch on them. There is a "half skip" chain and a "full skip" chain.
With these you can have a longer bar and use the same amount of power to cut.
Chain types... http://www.oregonchain.com