Upside down outlets??

TB> > However I always put mine in with the ground up. that way if somethi g TB> > falls between the plug and prongs, it will hit the ground first and maybe TB> > only the ground. That is safer in my book. TB> >

TB> > BTW I-zheet M'drurz does offer a good reason for some of the going th

TB> > other way. TB> TB> So, in the long run, one combines Mehan + I=zheet + cm and comes up with: TB> Plugs will be redesigned.

Or the socket:

o | | o o | | o

I have seen 'rotating' plugs but I'm not too sure if I would want to use them for anything but for lower-amperage requiring devices. Not so sure I'd want a window a/c on one.

  • Infamous Song Lyrics: "OOU, EE, OOU AH AH, TING, TANG, WALLA WALLA BING BANG
Reply to
barry martin

Phisherman

Reply to
jhill

The ground goes down, its not a matter of personal preference, its how they are designed. (I believe the idea is that the cord hangs down and if it is falling out the last thing to unconnect is the ground, of course the cord would have to be really bad but thats the idea) Look carefully at the metal tangs see the V mark? that is your guide. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Its not only chicago but the chicago area.Im about 30 min. north and my house is still piped and outlets are horizontal.When the house is built 1900 boxes (square boxes) are mounted and piped.The drywall rings are then installed,up/down for switches side /side for outlets round for most lights in ceiling. Mark H.

Reply to
Union 134

I'm about 21W and near North Ave.

Yep, still being done today.

My point is, the direction of the outlet is determined by the ring that is plastered in, which isn't easy to change.

Reply to
John Hines

According to Eric :

You've obviously never seen GFIs where the molded-in lettering is upside down if you install with ground down. Or right-angle plugs which drape "up" (and are thus much more prone to snagging) if the ground prong is on the bottom.

There is no particular "right way". It seems to be a regional thing.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

gold coast or lincoln park zoo ; ) Im in the diamond lake area but grew up on the far far northwest side. Mark H.

Reply to
Union 134

21W as in 21W123 means 21 Miles west of state, as in what used to be unincorporated Chicago, before the 'burbs incorporated.
Reply to
John Hines