UPS vs DSL modem

Page 2 of 2

Yes, I remmeber the first one of those I worked with back in the 80's. Our facility had offices in front and a warehouse in the back. There was this small room back in the warehouse so we took it over and put the ups in it. Day one we figured out that it was hot as hell in that little room. Noisy too. Fortunately it was on an outside wall so we made a hole inthe wall and added an ac.

And a "line interactive" is still head and shoulders above the cheap old "stand-by" UPS. In old APC parlence there was the cheap "Back-ups" and the interactive "Smart-ups".
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:22:57 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc

Even a lot of the "larger" UPS units work that way. There are "standby" units (the cheap kind with switch-over drop-out), Line interactive (which switch over very quickly, using zero crossing switches or similar tech) and there are the genuine on-line, or "dual conversion" units the have absolutely no change-over or drop-out - and you pay accordingly.
Art Todesco wrote:

I would agree that you probably could use a newer / better UPS with a faster or no switching time. It is also possible that the DSL modem's cheap power supply has inadequate filter caps, or they are cheap and have failed. A new power supply may solve the problem, or adding a big cap as you indicated should also allow it to ride through a few cycles of outage while the UPS switches.

Create your own power failure by unplugging wall, and see if you have the same result.
greg

Clarify, unplug power to UPS for a few seconds.
greg

Many times on the cheap stuff (old APC Backups a case in point) they would switch over perfectly if you pulled the plug, but would be sluggish switching if the mains power went down or sagged.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 08:50:59 -0500, Art Todesco wrote:

I'd try a 1.5 farad cap used on auto power amps. Usually can pick one up for 10+ bucks. That should buffer the source more than enough and would be much cheaper than a new UPS.

Seriously, We don't even know the voltage of the supply except its suppose to be 12 at rated current output. Its easy to fry something. Unregulated outputs go up over 16 volts.
As I said, pulling the plug on the UPS will narrow down the problem better. I'm worrying some other telephone line problem can occur during a power failure, up setting the modem. Many devices also warn of reconnecting a wall-wart supply while still active.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:05:02 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"

You price a" beer-can" cap lately???Local surplus store is getting $69 for them!! He doesn't need 1.5 farads (likely) anyway - a 2200 will likely do it. If not, try 2 in parallel.

Using a cheap stand-by "almost" power converter?? (that's what APC stands for)? Many of the cheap standby units have lousy transfer times. Short of changing UPS units, the large 25 volt capacitor wouls likely be the most effective solution. Don't whimp out and use a 12 volt. 16 would be OK, but a 25 will last a whole lot longer (you are looking at unfiltered rectified ac, not clean DC on those power warts).

I have a few wall warts with switching power supplies but many are still transformers. It's easy to tell, the ones with switching circuits instead of transformers are usually lighter and have a higher current rating. Another giveaway is that many of the switching ones accept anything from 100vac to 220vac.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:05:00 -0800, Smitty Two

Possibly - but there are a LOT that are non-regulated rectified transformers - all the regulation is done in the device itself. Using a 12 volt cap would be borderline, regardless. I would ALWAYS over-rate by a minimum 25%. (which would be minimum 15 volts - closest commercial value being 15vdc)
On 2/17/2011 8:50 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

Well, I did more testing. I unplugged the UPS and both computer and modem continued to function properly. So, I tried a bunch of quick unplug/plugs of the UPS. Everything continued to work. At this point, I'm tending to blame the ISP. Here's why. Verizon used to be the provider ... now, it's Frontier. I know, in Verizon days, last year, that a power outage would kill the telephone service. I get service from a remote vault about 2 miles down the road. During a long power/phone outage, I went down to the remote and talked to the telephone guy that was dispatched to the remote site. He said that the batteries were junk and Verizon didn't want to spend the money to replace them because they knew the Frontier sale was just around the corner. Funny thing, during that long power outage, DSL still worked. It apparently comes from the same remote site, but probably uses different batteries or gets its power differently. Now, I just have to monitor the outages in the future and possibly report the problems to Frontier. I've heard both good and bad about Frontier's response to problems.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:21:40 -0500, Art Todesco wrote:

My son was complaining every time the power dipped his PC would shut down even though it is plugged into an APC Back UPS 1000VA unit. I held the on/ off button for a self test of the battery and he was right. His monitor stayed on but the PC shut off. I changed the outlet the PC was plugged into, redid the test and the PC stayed on. And it was plugged into a battery back up outlet! Go figure that one out. And if I recall that outlet that no longer supplies ac on battery used to supply while on battery just fine because it was formerly mine. I have four identical units. One on my 50" LED TV, one on the A/V and cable DVR equipment, one in my bedroom and one in my son's. All are self tested weekly and as far as the Powerchute software reports all still have good batteries after 7 years.

I'm feeling lonely here. No UPS's on my PC, modem, TV, A/V or TIVO. And in decades of use, not one instance where I lost anything or had a problem due to power outage. But then, I'm living in the typical house, not the White House situation room..... That would seem to be one of the few places you might want a UPS on the TV and stereo and where you'd go around testing them weekly.
On 02/17/2011 06:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

There's a vast difference in power quality in different areas around the country. When I lived in Ohio I just didn't even think about power outages. When I lived in MD, it was a near daily occurrance. Now in VA, it goes out occasionally, but usually only after a horrific storm, and then it's right back on again. Just like pretty much everywhere I've lived, the phones... just... worked. Except when I moved to VA and had to deal with Verizon... combusting anuses...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Run your modem directly off the UPS's battery..
Jimmie