UPS... new battery or replace?

Page 3 of 4
On 02/17/2011 02:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

So I already bought a battery and it's working, although for what I paid for the battery I feel like I should have just bought a UPS.
For future reference, what's the magic decoder ring to Eaton's product lines? Really why I want to know is at a minimum next time I buy a UPS I would like it to be minimum line-interactive but true sine wave; preferred would be true-online... e.g. equivalent to APC's "SmartUPS" line.
Worst part is, I have a true-online APC sitting in my office at work leftover from a job (customer said "don't install it, our power here is the cleanest around" - idiot) but damn ethics won't let me just take it home :/
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

The Eaton Magic Decoder ring:
3 series are standby 5 series are line interactive 9 series are on-line dual conversion.

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 17, 10:45 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks, that is helpful.
The more I think about it the more I think that I may still be shopping for a new UPS in the vague future, because I'm hopfully going to be looking for a new house soon. If it ends up set up like my friend's place I would actually need three units and I currently only have two. The Eaton line does appear to be quite a bit less expensive than comparable APC stuff and if it's better quality so much the better. My only experience with them is ordering some large power conditioners that were spec'd for a job at work... engineer spec'd a part number, I ordered it. They worked fine, although they were noisy.
The reason I could see myself needing three UPS's would be as follows:
1) first one, for cable modem and switch in basement.
2) second one, for wireless access point, located somewhere centrally in house for best coverage.
3) third one, at big mother PC set up in home office (which may or may not be at same location as 2)
the reason I didn't need this at my old place was that there was no "structured wiring" panel or Ethernet wiring run inside the walls, so I didn't have 1) above. I used the built in switch in my wireless router to provide a drop to the "office" which was actually in the basement and directly below the living room, where the wireless router was located. So, only two UPSs.
thanks again,
nate
Add pictures here
✖

We use a lot of Eaton brand here at work. Batteies usually last about 5 years so we normally replace the whole unit.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 13:37:42 -0800 (PST), JIMMIE

If they are 900 series I'll take 'em off your hands when the batteries die!!! (usually good for AT LEAST 3 sets of batteries)
Add pictures here
✖

Anything "powerware" is decent quality. If it is the big "powerware prestige" 2000, that is a 2kva dual conversion unit (replaced by the 9000 series) and DEFINITELY worth replacing batteries. If it is a 2000EX (with the battery plug on the back - extended run - capable of being connected to an extended battery packor DC Generator) you have a real gem. Real HEAVY sucker too!!. It will take 4 or 5 12 volt batteries if it is that particular unit.
If it is light enough you can throw it across the room, might not be worth puting much into it, as it is just a simple standby unit - but I suspect it is the heavy on-line unit from your description (roughly 6X12X20 inches?)
Add pictures here
✖
?

Ask at work if you can buy one of the $10 batteries.
Add pictures here
✖

Even at some place like Battery Warehouse?
I'd buy the battery and get 7 to 15 more years out of the UPS.

Add pictures here
✖
On 02/16/2011 11:32 PM, mm wrote:

That's the only place I know that'll sell retail... well I think there's a Batteries Plus around somewhere but their prices even listed online are silly... just bought a friend some batteries for her UPS last week actually, hers used 2x 6.2's and those were about $30 apiece. way more expensive than BW's online price, but where else was I going to go?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

Try Ebay. It has slews of 12ah SLA batteries for $15 or less.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/17/2011 7:51 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Shipping may cost more than the battery. :-(
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/16/2011 11:32 PM, mm wrote:

What is the additional part of the plan you didn't mention? I have never seen a gel cell last 7 years in service and certainly not 15.

Add pictures here
✖

Actually as best I can figure, the one that just died lasted *at least* 7 years. Of course, I had to disassemble the case to get it out, it was swelled in every dimension. woopsie.
I know this because I've been working at my current job for almost six now, and I got the UPS from the trash at my *previous* job. Only time I replaced the battery was immediately after picking it out of the trash. I pulled a batt. off the shelf in the warehouse and fired it up to test it, it worked, I told my boss what I did and asked him if he really meant to put it in the trash, he told me to keep it as he'd already ordered a replacement. Then IIRC I went to the counter sales guy, told him I'd taken a battery for personal use, asked him for an invoice, and he told me to not bother him with petty BS like that. That place was a LOT more laid back than where I work now :/ (but the pay was a lot worse...)
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I thought that's what he said the prior battery did.
Yeah, it's two paragraphs down.
I don't keep track, but still I think I got 7 years once. Then I broke out the plastic ridges in the case and put in a battery that was twice as big. The whole thing failed a few years after that, and I've wondered if putting in a bigger battery caused that. ??

Add pictures here
✖

So the cost of happiness forecasts as option 1 = $8/year or less option 2 = $50/year or more Have you not already answered your own question?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Nate Nagel wrote:

The simple answer here is to assess the quality of the current UPS and compare the cost of new batteries to the cost of a new UPS of comparable quality.
I have the same situation here, where the UPS that supports my garage server rack is an old but high quality Best Fortress 1420 (the good version with 4 digit display). This UPS is at least 14 years old and it's original batteries are finally failing. It uses two 17ah gel cells and clearly the cost of those new batteries is much lower than the cost of a comparable new UPS.
In my office I have a cheap little Tripp-Lite branded POS UPS that cost <$100 new. The status display on the thing died in the first year of use, though the UPS function still works properly. Clearly when the battery in that UPS goes it will make more sense to buy a complete new unit rather than replace just the battery.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, I think you understood my question correctly. But I really don't have any feel for the quality of my old UPS - it's a Back-UPS 650 IIRC - vs. anything that I could buy new for a reasonable price.
However, I suspect that I am likely going to try a new battery in it anyway because I'm a cheap ba$tard, unless someone can recommend a new, amazingly good product that is available for, say, $300 or less.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I would go with a new battery. If your existing one is 12 volts you might try hanging a car battery on it. run times will skyrocket, and car batteries are cheap:)
Add pictures here
✖
Nate Nagel wrote:

Why spend $40 when you can buy them for $10 "all day"????

Why do you need a 3/4 KW ups for a wireless router? If you catch 'em on sale, you can buy a perfectly adequate ups for about the cost of a battery alone.
It can vary considerably, but statistically, almost ALL power disruptions last less than a few cycles. If the power is out for more than a minute, it'll probably stay out longer than most consumer UPS's can handle.

Your options are like comparing apples to oranges. YOU have to decide whether you want apples or oranges.
If it were me, I'd plug the router into the ups that serves the PC and be done with it.

Add pictures here
✖

That's for work, not for personal use.
However, it appears that $40 retail is about as good as it gets.

because the old one is 650VA, and APC will only let you trade even or up, not down.

That's really the situation that I'm trying to alleviate, rebooting of the router when the power drops out for a half second or so.

Doesn't work, PC is in different room. (see my most recent post.) If the wireless router is placed in the basement, I don't get good coverage on the 2nd floor.
nate
Add pictures here
✖