UPS... new battery or replace?

Page 2 of 4
On 2/19/2011 7:24 AM, HeyBub wrote:

People are dumbfounded by the amount of dust that collects inside their computers when their surroundings seem so clean. For years, I've admonished folks for putting their computers on the floor under the desk or anywhere on a carpeted floor. I've grown quite fond of thin clients that hang off the back of the monitor and are convection cooled. It's a lot easier to keep a server on a rack clean especially if the case has air filters. :-)
TDD

I often see computers sitting on the curb in my neighborhood. I often repair them and give them to schools, churches and such.A lot of the time all it takes is blowing the dirt out.
Jimmie

Not as a dedicated task, but it's usually something I do when I have the case open swapping a card or whatnot. I don't know if it's the location in a cabinet below my desk, or the larger fans running at slower speeds, but I don't seem to collect much dust in the computer these days. My old systems used to get so dirty you could barely see the motherboard. :)
Anthony Watson Mountain Software www.mountain-software.com
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 18:30:54 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

At the office where I spend all my mornings, we were going through power supplies and hard-drives in particular at a ridiculous pace untill I talked the owner into installing UPS on all the machines. With the UPS units installed, computer failures dropped to less than 10% of what they were before. They are all low-mid-line line interactive units, except for the dual conversion units on the servers.
They've paid for themselves several times over just in computer life, lot counting down-time and lost production, or even agrivation.
There were some industrial properties nearby - and every time the bakery (Westons) started the line the voltage did strange contortions, and when some things shut down, we got spikes (confirmed by the power company when they put the Ganz analyzer on line for a week).
We are in a new building now, in a newer area of town, with less industry etc - but the UPS units are staying.
At home my systems are all on a PowerWare Prestige 1000, my wife's is on a Best Patriot 600, and my modems/routers/switches are on a Pulsar 500 line interactive.
If you know anything about UPS, these are all "senior citizens" and the batteries get changed about every 4 or 5 years, as needed. As soon as one of them reports a bad battery, I just go to my battery wholesaler and pick up the whole works at once.
On 02/16/2011 09:23 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

not a concern... not running PCs. just cable modem and wireless router. PC is on newer UPS elsewhere in house. I did have software for this one but I lost it and the cable long ago. no big deal.
this one uses a 12AH SLA battery.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

wholesale at the distributor (not dealer) level.
On 02/17/2011 02:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I guessed wrong. It was actually $50... which to me seems extortionate, but then again, I'm used to buying wholesale, and in large quantities.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If you live in a metro area, find a security distributor (i.e. ADI http://www.adilink.com/company/locations.php ) It will cost less than $20.
On 02/17/2011 07:48 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

ADI around here is worse than Grainger... I can't even buy stuff for WORK anymore without having a PO first! useta be that you could just pop in there, drop my employer's name, pay with a personal credit card, and expense it... not no more! Plus they have a "secret password" set up for the company that changes every month... but when I only need something in an emergency from them every 6 mos. or so you think I know it? I'm sure it's for tax reasons, but they're becoming real unfriendly.
I'm not sure what magic words I need to utter to be able to buy stuff from them for personal use...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Lookie here: http://www.safemart.com/12-Volt-Batteries/Battery-Lead-Acid-12V-80Ah-br-ELK-1280.htm
$29.79 delivered. And it's 8Ah, and the Elk brand (superior name).

The account number works for me. But, if you don't have one they CAN charge sales tax and sell it to you (if you don't get a jerk).
On 02/17/2011 08:08 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

http://www.safemart.com/12-Volt-Batteries/Battery-Lead-Acid-12V-80Ah-br-ELK-1280.htm
damn, the one I actually needed is still $40 there. I guess maybe I'm spoiled by looking at wholesale prices all the time
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

But most distributors will sell to the public, you just have to look the part!

better price that way)
Any respectable distributor doesn't give the same price to "retail" customers as he does to dealers or other wholesalers. The guy I buy from sells to garages and security companies etc, as well as to guys that sell to those guys.

My cable modem and router plus a few other gadgets run on 12VDC wall warts so I run them all from a little 12 V PS with a built in battery backup. My little power supply is about 15 years old, battery half that and it has never failed me.
Jimmie
On 2/16/2011 8:23 PM, G. Morgan wrote:

Last one I bought was $16.00 last year at the electronic supply house. At one time, I would go to Crown Battery Wholesale Co. and pay $7.00 each by the case for the 12volt 7ah with 1/4" fast on terminals.
TDD

Time for a new one, for computer and some peripherals, I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101430&cm_re=apc_750va-_-42-101-430-_-Product for $100. Replacement battery years down the road is @$25 hth

personal. If you buy the batteries for $10 at work, buy one for yourself and pay the boss.
The low-end UPS units I service for one of my customers go through a battery about every 18 months or so - and generally outlast 6 or more battery replacements. (have actually only had one non-APC unit and 3 APC units actually FAIL)
On Feb 16, 10:11pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hah. we're so uptight, you have no idea. Worse than ADI. We sell only to contractors, and I ain't a contractor :/
Who do you like, if not APC? I know they're consumer grade cheez, but that's what I can afford, and the one with the dead battery has been serving me faithfully for years, although I know the inverter output probably looks more like the teeth on a dog clutch than a sine wave. Not much variety on the shelves at the Big Boxen, but I'm not averse to ordering from newegg, etc. if I have to. Tripp-Lite? Other?
I have seen rack-mount APCs used for access control system backup, so I just ASSumed that they weren't that bad, but I'm certainly not an IT guy, the equipment that I specialize in has the backup built in so I never have to worry about it...
nate
On 2/17/2011 7:54 AM, N8N wrote:

APC makes everything from big box quality junk all the way up to data center class devices.

distributor so I can make good markup on them and still be very competetive. They don't waste a lot of money blowing their own horn like APC. And they WORK. Haven't had to scrap one yet. About every second or third APC I get involved in is non-functional even after battery replacement - gotten so I test them with "iffy" batteries before buying replacements. (Batteries the still work but are a bit low on capacity/run-time) My distributor also carries a low cost line which has served me well. (no failures, other than batteries, in something like 7 years). Powerware bought out BEST and absorbed Exide and a few other brands.