UPS... new battery or replace?

Got an *ancient* (and I do mean ancient) APC UPS... all it does is back up my wireless router. Battery is done. new one I expect to cost $30-40 (which I find extortionate as I buy them for work at about $10 all day but still.)

1) buy a new battery. Be happy for another 5 years or so. Cost $40 max.

2) buy a new true-online UPS for my PC, and rotate the old, sorta-decent one currently serving PC to wireless router duty. Would cost $266 for a

750VA unit with trade in (smallest one that qualifies for trade in credit) or $252 for a 1000VA unit (yeah, I don't understand that either.)

which would you do? This is an old UPS that I scavenged from a previous employer something like 7-8 years ago, and at that time it was being discarded because the battery was dead then, so it now could conceivably be as many as 15 years old.

I want to go true online but worth the cost? Have had no problems with my setup so far. (touch wood.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What size battery is it? 12V 7AH?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

decision just got more difficult. I thought all "Smart-UPS" products were true online, but they're not. However, they ARE the ones claimed to have a true sine wave output, not an "approximation" of a sine wave.

The real true-online deal would be $985, so that's off the table.

I do like the idea of giving my stuff cleaner power on battery, but then again, I'm thinking, just spend the $40 for a new battery, because nothing's blowed up so far? (well, truth be told, i've been going through wireless routers like candy, but previously I had same UPS running my PC, which is still fine, so I blame the routers.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi Nate,

If your UPS has a line-conditioner and software "Parachute", I would replace the batt. You can get a 7.5 Ah gel-cell for $20 at an alarm-parts supplier.

If not, I'd go for one with a line conditioner and the safe-shutdown software.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Time for a new one, for computer and some peripherals, I use:

$100. Replacement battery years down the road is @$25 hth

Reply to
shellyf_DELETE_

I think the first question here is what's the overall mission objective? I haven't had a UPS on any of my home computers or routers. The only problems I've had are if the power goes out, which is infrequent, I might lose whatever work I had open. Even that isn't for sure, as many apps do timed saves of the open documents, so you may only lose the last 15 mins.

I've never had a disk corrupted by the power failing, or anything like that. Nor can I recall ever losing any document, etc that I was working on that amounted to anything. So, I personally wouldn't spend $40, let alone several hundred on any UPS.

Reply to
trader4

I have had all of the above happen. In fact at one house in which I lived, the power went out so often that it managed to corrupt a PC that was running *LINUX*.

Thing was so obsolete it wasn't worth the time to reinstall... into the trash it went.

I won't be without a UPS again. I have two because if the cable modem and wireless router lose power even for a second or two it's annoying to wait for them to reboot.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

not a concern... not running PCs. just cable modem and wireless router. PC is on newer UPS elsewhere in house. I did have software for this one but I lost it and the cable long ago. no big deal.

this one uses a 12AH SLA battery.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hmmm, I gave been living in this house for alnost 20 years since it's built. During that time total time for power outage was ~30 minutes. I don't think I need a UPS, just another thing to look after. We have 3 Desk top, 3 laptops scattered around in the house as well as WiFi Skype phone.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

And I like the idea of being a multi-millionaire. But I'm not, so I live with what I've got.

APC UPS's are not "true online", and they don't make a true sine wave, but you know what? The equipment does not seem to give a shit one way or the other.

I've had Alphaservers and all sorts of network gear running tickety-boo for many years on cheapo APCs. Never an issue. If you have routers failing, it's because nobody does pre-delivery testing anymore. Testing costs more than shipping whatever came off the line and dealing with warranty claims when they happen. Remember when hard-drives were each individually tested, and the results written on a sticker /by hand/?

I think you can find better things to worry about. Buy a new anything-brand UPS and be happy. Unless you're the sort that /likes/ things held together with duct tape and chewing gum because it came for free. In that case, you're beyond help.

Reply to
Tegger

I definitely prefer the on-line, and I DETEST APC, but that's personal. If you buy the batteries for $10 at work, buy one for yourself and pay the boss.

The low-end UPS units I service for one of my customers go through a battery about every 18 months or so - and generally outlast 6 or more battery replacements. (have actually only had one non-APC unit and 3 APC units actually FAIL)

Reply to
clare

Ask at work if you can buy one of the $10 batteries.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Last one I bought was $16.00 last year at the electronic supply house. At one time, I would go to Crown Battery Wholesale Co. and pay $7.00 each by the case for the 12volt 7ah with 1/4" fast on terminals.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I'm with you Nate, every piece of computer gear I have is on a UPS. I had to reset the breaker last night when the electric heater warmed up the breaker enough. Computer, cable modem and router never skipped a a beat. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Even at some place like Battery Warehouse?

I'd buy the battery and get 7 to 15 more years out of the UPS.

Reply to
mm

I had some Intertel phone systems that required true sine wave UPS units. This was back in the early 1990's and I don't run into that any more with newer phone systems.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's the only place I know that'll sell retail... well I think there's a Batteries Plus around somewhere but their prices even listed online are silly... just bought a friend some batteries for her UPS last week actually, hers used 2x 6.2's and those were about $30 apiece. way more expensive than BW's online price, but where else was I going to go?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

What is the additional part of the plan you didn't mention? I have never seen a gel cell last 7 years in service and certainly not 15.

Reply to
George

You're lucky. Some places I've lived power has been pretty good. The place I'm thinking of though, as often as not the clock on the microwave would be flashing when I got home from work. The power would never *stay* out for long - it'd just blip out long enough to reset the clocks and reboot the computers. never went more than a couple days without that happening at least once. sometimes it'd happen several times a day.

For whatever reason, PEPCO seems to do a much better job than BG&E, so I'm glad I don't live in MD anymore (for many reasons.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Hah. we're so uptight, you have no idea. Worse than ADI. We sell only to contractors, and I ain't a contractor :/

Who do you like, if not APC? I know they're consumer grade cheez, but that's what I can afford, and the one with the dead battery has been serving me faithfully for years, although I know the inverter output probably looks more like the teeth on a dog clutch than a sine wave. Not much variety on the shelves at the Big Boxen, but I'm not averse to ordering from newegg, etc. if I have to. Tripp-Lite? Other?

I have seen rack-mount APCs used for access control system backup, so I just ASSumed that they weren't that bad, but I'm certainly not an IT guy, the equipment that I specialize in has the backup built in so I never have to worry about it...

nate

Reply to
N8N