Upgrading Electrical Outlet

I was told by a city code office employee via email that I only need a permit "If you want to add/upgrade electrical receptacles".
My plan, as part of a basement bedroom remodel, is to replace an existing metal box receptacle with a metal box slightly bigger, and to more securely (tapcons, wood) attach it to the masonry wall, rather than the shoddy way the builder did it (cut nails on scrap plywood).
I assume that "upgrade" he means add amperage, voltage, 220 vs 110, etc?
Am I interpreting this right?
Buck Turgidson wrote:

That's what/how I'd interpret it, yes...
dpb wrote:

It's a joy to live in a place with no building code, no permits and no electrical inspections. The local government is starting to conclude that it would be a source of income though. Public safety is never mentioned...only a that it could be a sizable income stream.
That's ALL it's about.

On 8/28/2008 9:56 AM Buck Turgidson spake thus:

Dunno, IANAI*.
But couldn't it also mean an upgrade to a GFCI, AFCI or similar from an unprotected outlet? (Just trying to cover all bases.)
* I Am Not An Inspector
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I

For practical purposes, it means whatever the chief inspector says it means. The OP is best advised to clarify the interpretation with the inspector; opinions rendered here, no matter how technically accurate, are not relevant to determining local interpretations.

I've clarified with him what he meant, and my interpretation is correct.
He also said that "all metal boxes must be bonded". What the heck does that mean?
On 8/28/2008 1:54 PM Buck Turgidson spake thus:

Bonded = electrician talk for "electrically tied to the ground conductor".
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
On 8/28/2008 1:35 PM Doug Miller spake thus:

Best answer yet.
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Yep. In many locales, the inspector has no code background, he got the job as a political plum. So do what he says. And always ask, it makes the little weasels feel good to spout their 'technical expertise.'
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 12:56:50 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

If you are replacing receptacles, I understand that to mean "upgrading" receptacles. This is the first time I heard of requiring a permit for adding/upgrading an outlet, maybe you have too much local government?
Phisherman wrote:

I'd regard it as maintenance, not an upgrade.

Well perhaps we have, but in NYC, replacing a switch or an outlet legally requires the use of a licensed electrician. Of course that doesn't stop every hardware store and home center from carrying outlets and switches and rolls of BX cable.
--
Peace,
BobJ

re: Of course that doesn't stop every hardware store and home center from carrying outlets and switches and rolls of BX cable.
The buying and selling of these items is not illegal, it's the installation by non-licensed people that is.
Wires don't electrocute people, people electrocute people.
Your first mistake was asking. Just do what you need to do and get on.

Buck Turgidson wrote:

I don't ask them nothing. I do what I want.
--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

We can read his mind? I think not. Pick up the phone, and call the guy. What kind of goof would ask internet strangers to make a ruling on what a local guy (a man of authority) meant?
It means add hotdogs and sausages to the box, and then fill the voids with mustard. And don't take no from the local code guy if he doesn't like mustard.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It doesn't matter how you or I interpret it; its all about how he interprets it. Technically you need permit if you change anything. Move an outlet, change it to a GFCI... anything other than making it identical to how it was before. In practice permits are usually needed for extensive additions, but your city code guy might feel otherwise. The rule of thumb one contractor gave me was that if someone looking at your house and the permits on file could tell you were missing a permit, then you are missing a permit.