Upgrading a Drilled Well in a Pit

Howdy.
I have a drilled well that is in a concrete lined pit. I want to extend the casing above grade, install a pitless adapter, remove the concrete lining, and backfill. The pipes are all plastic.
Questions:
1. Can I use PVC for the new casing and a fernco fitting to attach it to the old iron casing?
2. Can I install the pitless adapter to the new PVC rather than excavating and installing on the old iron casing? It'll be below the frost line. The pipe and pump aren't too heavy - I can easily lift it.
3. What do I backfill with? Dirt? I don't know how casings are grouted but should that be extended along the new casing?
Any suggestions or comments?
Thanks!
-rev
Looks like I stumped you guys on this one.. Well, I'm on my way to the supply house for parts. This will be fun...
-rev