Update update

Page 1 of 4
After installing around 50 updates - including all security updates for IE8 - manually I am now able to access windows update online . The comp is now downloading 104 security updates from M$ .
--
Snag
Kiss my ass HO-ANN
On 05/12/2016 08:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Glad you got it working.
MS is just making it a bit harder to get updates for their older operating systems...and with Win10 they are making it too easy...VIZ: Giving them to you when you don't want them
philo wrote:

One of the first things I did when we got the "new" W7 laptop (Lenovo 4180 refurb from Newegg) was disable the W10 updates . Everything I've read/heard indicates they're trying to force everyone W7 and later to upgrade whether they want it or not . Too many privacy issues for my taste - I won't use cloud storage either . At least with the files all on my own machine I stand a chance of retaining *some* privacy .
--
Snag

On 05/12/2016 09:29 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Though I don't use Win10, I am evaluating it.
They don't make it easy but it can be tweaked to turn off automatic updates and huge portions of the default spying can be disabled.
When I do chose to use Windows, I'll be sticking with Win7 for many years.

That only takes you up the ladder one step from guys like me with XP.

As to which OS I use...as long as it does the job, that's the bottom line.
I have just about every OS you can imagine at my fingertips.
Though I mainly use Linux, I've got both XP and Win7 machines at my disposal. ...but many many more...pretty much every thing between Win1 and Win10 inclusive...
and what the heck, a number of Mac's as well (both PPC and Intel)
On 5/13/2016 5:35 AM, philo wrote:

BeOS? Unixware? Coherent UNIX? OpusV? Inferno? Jaluna? Amoeba? Mach-US?

On 05/13/2016 11:14 AM, Don Y wrote:

Looks like I missed a lot!
Did have BeOS at one time.
I do have Plan 9 and several versions of OS/2 though

On 5/13/2016 9:58 AM, philo wrote:

To be fair, there are lots of OS's out there. I picked on some of the less well known -- avoiding the obvious ones like Solaris, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, OS/X, MacOS, "Linux" (though Linux is just a kernel), etc.
On 05/13/2016 12:39 PM, Don Y wrote:

<snip> t!

I have used or still have most of the above
The ones you listed previously , I assumed you were trying to stump me and you did!
On 5/13/2016 10:50 AM, philo wrote:

They're just different markets. (Or, failed products -- e.g., BeOS, Unixware, Coherent)
Plan 9 and Inferno are more research OS's -- though I think both are used in some real telecom products. You can, for example, run Inferno *in* a web browser!
OpusV was a System V port to a NS32000 "coprocessor card" many decades ago. At the time, probably the fastest UN*X you'd encounter on a PC platform (it would even run in a 286 -- using the PC just as an "I/O processor")
Jaluna is intended for embedded systems but not widely used (too radical and too klunky of a build environment).
Amoeba and Mach-US (as well as Mach-Lites, Mach-UX, Poe, etc.) are proof of concept OS's that try to introduce a new/different way of doing things than traditional OS's. E.g., under Mach, you could run all of these other OS's at the same time -- as if they were the sole OS running on the machine. Amoeba (and Mach) also introduce more versatile security models (instead of the lame "Administrator/root vs. others" model).
For example, I can let a particular user append information to a file (i.e., write -- but only at the end!) and deny him the ability to overwrite existing information, delete the file *or* read anything in the file -- including the stuff he just wrote!
Or, I can let a user set turn a network interface on but never off (once its been turned on). And, prevent yet another user from ever typing a '7'! (WTF?) All the while, not interfering with the actions of "other" users.
These things are simply not possible in conventional OS's.
[Imagine the things a user might want to be able to do are: unlock the front door, open the garage, alter irrigation settings, check the temperature of the water heater, etc.]

I never have been able to get any form of linux to do much of anything other than to piss me off, but OS/2 was something I really liked back in it's day, and at that time, it looked like it would replace Windows. Although they claim differently, I think MS bought them out because they did not want the competition. Probably the biggest failure in the history of personal computers.
If OS/2 had succeeded, we'd probably all be using it now, especially since MS began their attempts to force their latest spyware disasters (Win 8 and 10) on us.
On 05/13/2016 03:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I just loved OS/2
As to Linux, it's very easy now and works quite well.
I use it as my full time OS but still find Windows quite a necessity.
On 05/13/2016 05:13 PM, philo wrote:
[snip]

When I tried Linux in 2010, I got the browser (Firefox) working almost immediately.

I still have one real machine (not VM) with Windows, but I used it very little. Mainly for a certain Windows-only program that needs direct access to a USB port, but I've found out how to do that with a VM so may put Linux on that one too.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 05/14/2016 01:40 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I started with Linux in the year 2000
from the time I got the CD until I got everything installed and configured was ...six months.
I sure learned a lot though but it was not user friendly at all.
On 5/14/2016 1:06 PM, philo wrote:

Ah. I started with NetBSD in 1993...

Having a previous System V machine, here, the learning curve was pretty trivial (the differences between a Berkeley distribution and AT&T being relatively minor)

That's why Linux will always be a hobbyist OS. The folks promoting it can't stop tinkering to spend time to make it "friendly".
On 05/14/2016 03:27 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'm not so sure about that.
When I was doing volunteer work for a local NPO I set up a lot of Linux machines for the members to use.
I just performed a default installation, made sure there were easy to get to links on the desktop for several web browsers and just let the folks use them...giving no special instructions.
They could go for years with no maintenance at all. All I'd usually have to do is delete Windows executable crapware downloaded to the desktop.
On 5/15/2016 3:07 PM, philo wrote:

Most people need more than a browser on their computer. Install iTunes on Linux? PowerPoint-ish tool? Do a mail merge? etc.
If all you want is a browser, you don't need a very sophisticated OS.
On 05/15/2016 05:37 PM, Don Y wrote:

Most people I know don't need anything but the basics.
That said, I also don't believe in going through a lot of hoops and work-arounds.
If something works better and easier on Windows, I don't hesitate to do so...nor do I proselytize for others to use Linux.
On 05/15/2016 07:17 PM, philo wrote:
[snip]

I don't understand those who seem to think you have to do everything on ONE OS. I like Linux, but have nothing against Windows when something works better on it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/