UPDATE Shutting off water to toilet

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their incredible advice. I tried as many of the suggestions as I reasonably could, and didn't tackle the ones that I felt were beyond my ability (I'm recovering from some broken bones and did NOT want to risk climbing on the roof!). When it became obvious that I couldn't fix it, I finally gave up and called Roto-Rooter. :-(

Thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate your time and effort in trying to help.

ScrubsFan wrote:

I'm stumped! I have two IDENTICAL Kohler toilets; they're about 3 years > old. Let's call them "good toilet" and "bad toilet" since one is > working and the other is stopped up. > > I tried plunging bad toilet, which didn't help. I tried liquid drain > unclogger (guaranteed to dissolve ANY organic material!--I guess we'll see). > > So now I want to flush it, but I'm afraid! Why? Because the toilet > this one replaced overflowed once...and flooded nearly my entire house > before it could be stopped. So I'm a bit gun shy. > > I turned off the water supply to the toilet--or at least I THOUGHT I > did--as I want to flush it with a controlled (i.e., LIMITED) amount of > water. Then I started emptying water from the tank, thinking I'd only > leave about 1/3 or so, again just to make SURE it can't overflow if > there's really something blocking the drain. But as the water level in > the tank got down to a certain point, it started filling up again. > Huh?! How can it do that if I've turned the valve off? > > I went to good toilet and tried the exact same motions--turning the > valve all the way to my right. Then I flushed it, flushed it again, and > the tank emptied almost all the way. Period. It didn't start refilling > until I started turning the valve to the left. So WHY is bad toilet > refilling? There's nothing else I can do--I've turned the valve as far > to the right as I can.
Reply to
ScrubsFan