UPDATE Shutting off water to toilet

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their incredible advice. I tried as many of the suggestions as I reasonably could, and didn't tackle the ones that I felt were beyond my ability (I'm recovering from some broken bones and did NOT want to risk climbing on the roof!). When it became obvious that I couldn't fix it, I finally gave up and called Roto-Rooter. :-(
Thanks again, everyone, I really appreciate your time and effort in trying to help.