Update on pantry moth problem

After 3 months of searching, baiting, and trapping, I think I found the source of these little buggers. I was disconnecting the gas line from the fireplace log set and noticed that a couple moths were in the fire box. I figured a couple found their way around the screen. Anyway, I turned off the gas for the pilot, and spread the lava gravel around to make it look a little neater. 20 minutes later there are about a dozen moths in the fireplace, behind the screen. I put a pest trap in there, and in less than

30 minutes, it was loaded with moths. Could these moths be in the lava gravel? I thought they would only nest near a food source.

I removed the log set and scooped out all the lava gravel onto cookie sheets, I am now "roasting" the lava gravel in the gas grill (500f for 20 minutes). I also sealed up all the little gaps in the firebox to seal in any eggs/larva and vacuumed out all the dust and debris (and tossed the vacuum bag into a garbage bag and tossed it out).

I was amazed to see that the moths were in the fireplace. I thought the heat would have killed them. Anyway, I think I found the source (fingers crossed). Has anyone heard of these moths nesting so far from a food source? And being able to survive in a fireplace that gets a lot of usage? They must be tough SOB'S!

Les

Reply to
Les and Gina

[...]

Interesting. I get little fluttering moths every year and just about this time they are a real problem. If it weren't for the fact that there's also a mosquito problem, maybe it wouldn't bother me as much, but I hate those pesky little moths. It's troublesome to try to annihilate them. I think they are breeding and the larva are growing in the house somewhere, but I don't have a clue where. I used to think they were getting into foodstuffs. I used to notice larva in plastic bags of food items, but haven't noticed that problem in recent times. I no longer keep such things in plastic bags, but in bottles instead.

I have to think there's something in your fireplace that those moths' larva are eating.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

I call them "flittermoths" which isn't the correct name. Sounds like indian meal worms.

My solution was to log onto

and buy pantry pest traps. Use them as directed, and no more moths.

From what I could tell, they arrived with catfood, and infested a LOT of food. I had to throw out a lot of grains, cereals, breakfast cereal, corn meal, flour, etc.

If I didn't swat or "clap" them in the moth stage, I'd get inch long worms crawling across the ceiling. Made for some expensive cat food.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I found both of these highly effective.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Various types of moth traps are also available at the bigbox stores, OSH, Ace etc.

-- Learn the Truth about Mormonism

G Henslee

replying to Dan_Musicant, Wren wrote: Ours are coming from the chimney! We have ZERO months in the winter months when we have a lot of fires. Come June we’re using moth traps.

Reply to
Wren

replying to Wren, Randy allen wrote: I think mine coming from chimney to. Not sure what to do

Reply to
Randy allen

Pantry moth traps are available, I think Home Depot has them. It's a triangle shaped cardboard thing with sticky inside and an attractant.

Reply to
trader_4