Update for those interested, sunroom

Well the BetterLiving folks are here. I now have 2 missing walls and 4x4 holding up the roof. Turned out the corner post wasnt the main support spot needed so they have a minor redesign of the wall to add another support. They have the parts.

The wood was far worse than thought and we've been lucky to have it done now. Roof may not have held much longer due to the rotting supports. New ones are steel set to cement base.

The dark brown is a perfect match to the accent colors already on the house.

Reply to
cshenk

Stage 2, they found they missed something on the survey. There was a small

6inch or so cement riser all along the outer edge of the existing room. They say no extra charge as they should have caught this on survey (since the walls were kicked in, it was visible from inside.

Some ADA code issue means they cant build on the existing part so it was knocked out and the footer was redone to accomodate it.

Reply to
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote

Initial:

Update:

Final but pre-inspection:

It looks lovely! The electrician added an exterior outlet we didnt recall was required for code here and looking at our exterior lights, added 2 instead of 1 because according to him, the builders had taken out the 2nd one by accident. We had one on each side and had agreed to a corner unit that would have a light on each side, but he said it would look better with

2 full units. No charge. He also added 2 interior outlets on the pre-existing preserved walls as well as outlets on the 2 new walls. 6 outlets (5 internal to the room). The only minor problem is he had to cut a square out of the drywall but as he knew we were paneling that wall anyways, we told him it was fine.

Inspection tomorrow and then they have one final bit to remove the piles of clay where they had to dig for the footer addition. (If they do not show for that, I actually have a use for the dirt and won't be upset).

Side benefits: The electrician also does extra side jobs when work is slow so he looked over several other small jobs we need. With the economy not so great, he says sometimes he has no work for several days. He did warn us his rates are a little higher than some others, but we note he's careful and quick so it seems to even out. Yes, he's insured. He's already done 2 small side jobs for us (2 ceiling fans with lights) for 100$ which included adding the reinforcing in the attic so they don't wobble. Very nicely done! He's used to upgrading older houses like ours to safer modern code.

Future plan: If they dont take out the dirt (a small detail they may humanly forget) then I am going to pile it to the side and later mix it with garden soil you get in bags, to build my raised container garden. See other thread...

Reply to
cshenk