Update: F*&%ing heat...

Page 3 of 3
HaH ~
Thanks for the detailed explanation. The Honeywell Aqaustat controller has a single dial - the setting indicated at midlevel on the left (if that is the read point) is 190 degrees.
According to your desription - this is both the high limit and low limit dial? Not sure how they are one and the same - but earlier today while the burner was firing I turned the dial, and the burner, not the circ pump, turned on and off...How can I adjust it to get the circ pump to do its thing at a lower temp to keep the hot water flowing through the system?
Thoughts are appreciated...It is going to be single digits tomorrow... Bluesman
On 27 Dec 2004 14:58:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

You need to rewire the low-voltage circuit so that the gas valve circuit is not powered unless the thermostat calls for heat. Not difficult, but hard to explain without seeing your system first hand. This would keep the pump working as long as heat is called for and allow the aquastat to be set to a lower temperature at times when that would be sufficient. Keeping a boiler full of hot water when not needed adds significantly to off-cycle heat losses.
Dan
On 27 Dec 2004 14:58:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

Most likely there is a pump relay which is energized by the thermostat to start the pump. Follow the pump wiring to find it. Make sure all of the wiring connections are tight. You may need to replace that relay.
_______________
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod /
Hi Gary, I did check the circ pump connections, and they are nice and tiight, both at the pump and the AQ controller. (I also got nicely electrocuted when messing with the controller when the burner was firing)
But here we go again. Last might it was single digits, Bedroom radiator was cranking nicely, but the rest of the house was 60 degrees when I woke up, with 3 radiators cold.
The boiler is humming at 200 degrees (it only cycles off when it hits the high limit on the aquastat) but the hot water is just not getting to 3 of 8 radiators. I called the oil Co, they are sending out a tech. I am going to bombard him with questions. I still think it may be the circ pump. There is hot water, good pressure, no air in the lines, and SOME of the radiators are getting very hot.
At least we may be getting somewhere, and boy I sure am getting an education on my heating system...I mean, I had no idea what an aquastat controller or circulation pump was three weeks ago. Thanks - I will keep youy updated...
Bluesman
On 28 Dec 2004 07:28:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

Was the pump running?
_______________
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod /
I don't think so - the burner is so loud it is hard to tell, but the pump is not getting real hot, and it is certainly not running on its own when the boiler is off.
I am guessing relay, bad wire, or the pump itself. Hopefully I will know soon enough. The tech is supposed to be here by now...
Bluesman
************** IT IS FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****************
It was the Honeywell Aquastat relay. The elctrical connection to the pump was dead, so the circ pump never moved the hot water to the hard to reach radiators. I knew it was the F%$ing circ pump!
The part was covered under my service plan, so I paid nothing, and I got a hell of an education learning about it. While I asking the tech all the questions he eventually asked if I wanted a job...
Thanks again guys...I am sure I will have some more stupid questions going forward, but hopefully not about this again. Regards,
Bluesman
************** IT IS FIXED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****************
It was the Honeywell Aquastat relay. The elctrical connection to the pump was dead, so the circ pump never moved the hot water to the hard to reach radiators. I knew it was the F%$ing circ pump!
The part was covered under my service plan, so I paid nothing, and I got a hell of an education learning about it. While I asking the tech all the questions he eventually asked if I wanted a job...
Thanks again guys...I am sure I will have some more stupid questions going forward, but hopefully not about this again. Regards,
Bluesman

Glad it is going again. The problem we have diagnosing over a computer is not being able to check voltages and stuff that takes only a few minutes when you are there and see just how it is wired. At least your toes will be warm in the morning.
On 28 Dec 2004 12:49:07 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net wrote:

Glad to hear you got it fixed. :)
_______________
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod /
I wired a 120v LED across the circ. connections in my aquastat, makes it easy to see at a glance what's going on.
snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net says...

Gary R. Lloyd posted for all of us....

Gary, this my troll buddy, Jeffy. He's bipolar & currently off his meds.
--
Tekkie

That would explain the apparent lack of interest in actually fixing the system.
_______________
Gary R. Lloyd CMS HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software Written by a veteran Service Technician
https://www.merchantamerica.com/tmethod /
posted for all of us....

jeffy is that you? Pretty sick of YOU. YOU are a sick MIND.

Obviously you haven't

Jeffy, you EVER going to learn to use a search engine?
Now get back on your meds and get the heck out of here with your stupid, inane, already discussed, crap questions. You won't comprehend any reasonable answer. You are a bipolar troll. Go away and let the rest of us alone.
happy Festivus
--
Tekkie

More inserted.
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I want to fix the problem then never worry about it again. Once I gain the education from this, I will be ready when/if issues should arise again.

wait
issue.
No air. ever. clean water, all the time, every time.

the
This only happened the 1st time, maybe from bleeding a few gallons at the rads - last night pipes were hot (or getting there) at flow and return.

cold
Nope - one zone. 1300 sq ft house...

the
I will ask the same Q to you, Will - what triggers the circ pump? Temp? Pressure? And is the dial on the Honeywell controller to set the temp at which the circ pump kicks on?
I think, after a week of torture, that short cycling and lack of the circ pump kicking in is contributing to the insufficient heat.... Thanks,
Bluesman