up grade electrical panel for garage

Page 1 of 2
i have my garage running off a 20amp breaker and i want to upgrade to handle more electric load. what are my options
On Sat, 08 Oct 2016 23:44:01 +0000, KEVIN

1. consult a qualified electrical contractor
2. do it yourself
3. trust your neighbour's cousin - Buddy - to do it
4. ask for advice on an international home repai forum
... in that order.
John T.
On 10/08/2016 05:44 PM, KEVIN wrote:

1. Rewire the garage and replace the breaker with one suitable for the ampacity of the wire you used.
2. Replace the breaker with one with a higher amp rating and see if you can burn the garage down.
Your choice.
RB said it best. It is a really good answer.
On 10/8/2016 7:44 PM, KEVIN wrote:

Run another wire, but . . . First you have to assess your needs. Do you need 220V? Can your panel handle additional load?
No one can tell you until you have some specifics.
On 10/08/2016 08:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Correct.

My toolshed is near my garage by about 8 feet. I originally just ran a piece of 12/2 w gnd UF cable, overhead from the garage to the shed attached to a 20A breaker in the garage. Only intended for a few lights and an occasional power tool. But that shed got cold in the winter and hot in the summer, so I wanted to install a small window AC, or plug in an electric space heater in winter. I just ran a second run of UF cable. bundled them together with zip ties, and had a separate circuit for either the AC or the Heater. (I wont be using both at the same time for obvious reasons). That's all I needed.
By code I'm supposed to have a separate disconect in the shed, but here on the farm in a rural area they are not real picky, and the Power Company has seen what I did and did not complain about it. So, if all you need is an extra circuit for some power tools, just run another 20A circuit. If you need more, then you may be in for a bigger and costlier job.

If you're going to dig a trench for the UF cable, spend a few dollars more and install conduit. Bigger will cost more, but it gives you more options in the future.
Then, if you decide you need more than your original 12/2 cable, you can either pull it out and replace it with a larger cable, or you can pull another cable to suppliment the first one.
It's a small extra cost now, but it sure beats having to dig up the yard again if your needs change in the future.
On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 7:41:00 PM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:

I believe it was you that gave me advice to pull more wire from the main panel instead of putting in a sub panel. Which I did and thanks again. Left the lighting on the original circuit and added 3 20 Amp circuits.

Did I? Could be, I really can't remember.
My memory isn't what it used to be.

If it was me, you're welcome. If not, thanks to whoever suggested it. :)

Excellent, I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you.
Take care,
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 04:08:39 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

Great as long as the code doesn't bother you.

Codes? We don't need no stinkin' codes! :)
I'm curious though what the codes say about running multiple cables from the main panel instead of installing a subpanel?
I could understand if the garage was detached, but for an attached garage why would that be any different than running cables to other parts of the house?
Inquiring minds want to know...
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:40:03 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

I was thinking detached. In an attached garage, you are right. The issue is number of services or circuits and disconnecting means on an additional building.

That's what I was thinking. Thank you for the clarification.
On 10/10/2016 10:40 AM, HerHusband wrote:

Detached buildings are not allowed more than one feed. Makes sense for safety. AFAIK, attached is just another part of the building.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 14:40:03 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

If it's the same building, or an attached part of the same building you can run as many cables as your panel can handle.
It's just that in the case of my toolshed, it's a separate building. It's only 8 ft from the garage, but by code I should have a separate sub-panel. That shed is mostly where I keep most of my tools, and a place to work on small projects. Big projects like auto repair I do in the garage, but the garage should be larger. Rather than add on to the garage, I boight this shed for a real good price, and it's nice because in cold weather I can easily heat it, whereas heating a whole garage just to work on my snowblower, is not practical. When I got that shed, I intentionally spaced it 8ft from the garage in case of fire, and because of a concrete retaining wall, due to a small hill, I had little choice but to locate it where I did.
Anyhow, walking from the shed to the garage is about the same distance as walking to a basement in most homes (to flip a breaker). What I have is totally safe, but not exactly code, because the code wants a separate disconnect in a separate building. Yea, I could have put a small breaker box on those same wires, in the shed, but it seems senseless.
In the past this was not required, and I worked in many detached garages, where the only disconnect was in the house. My parents home had a detached garage built in the 1960's, and a professional electrician wired it. He ran conduit underground from the house and had three circuits going to the garage. Back then, that was legal, and that was in a large city where codes are often tougher than in rural areas.

If all you are running in your shed is a small portable heater and a couple lights, you could probably get by with one 20A circuit. I believe that would meet code.
However, if you install conduit from the garage to the shed, you can pull out your current cable and install a larger cable for a subpanel if your needs change in the future. It's sure a lot easier than having to dig a new trench again.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 22:28:16 -0000 (UTC), HerHusband

I have these wires running overhead across that 8' span. I used UF cable. To go underground meant I'd have to tunnel under a poured concrete retaining wall.
I do need 2 circuits though. One for either electric heater or AC in summer. The other one for lights and an occaisonal power saw or other power tool. But I dont need anything more than that.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 21:29:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

10 ga wire minimum I hope. ;-)

Are you allowed to have cable in conduit?

Or, run another empty conduit, capped at both end, for future use
Charles