unwanted guest

Page 4 of 7

Just one question, Dave: How'd you manage to graduate from law school without learning the difference between "advise" and "advice" somewhere along the way?
Doug Miller wrote:

Oh great. No we have spelling police. I have news for you pally. People who have dysgraphia and related ailments cannot spell properly to save their lives. That does not make them unintelligent or incompetent in their own profession; unless of course they are a grade school spelling teacher. -- Tom H
Hmmmm.... is it 'pally' or 'pallie'?
Matt wrote:

There shall be only 3 periods in an ellipsus.
Oh Shit, you're right. Damn.
Matt wrote:

Sorry, there was an obvious error in my statement. It should have read:
"There shall be only 3 periods in a hockey game".
Sam O'Nella wrote:

Five in the middle of a sentence, three at the end.
JerryMouse wrote:

Yeah, but since he was using a word (ellipsus) which he may have made up himself, he can do whatever he damn pleases.
Now if you're talking about an ellepsis, It appears that three dots (or asterisks) are the accepted standard:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

you forgot "welll".
In alt.home.repair on Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:07:32 -0500 "Sam O'Nella"

Ellipsis.
meirman wrote:

That was not a complete sentance.
In alt.home.repair on Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:07:32 -0500 "Sam O'Nella"

Ellipsis. Greek, not Latin.

meirman wrote:

I'm glad you're playing along ;)
In alt.home.repair on Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:05:04 -0500 "Sam O'Nella"

It's better than playing alone. :)

Sam O'Nella wrote:

Really??? (is this the right amount of question marks, and does that have a name like the three dots)?
<< There shall be only 3 periods in an ellipsus. >>
It also depends upon what, if anything, follows the ellipsis. Some ellipses are sets of four periods used to end a sentence.
In alt.home.repair on Fri, 28 Jan 2005 04:27:40 GMT "Dee"

<< Maybe that's 3 periods and then the period that ends the sentence. >>
Hey, cleeeverrr.... I never thought of that. <g>

No, you missed the point. I'm questioning whether he's really a lawyer, because I think a real lawyer would know the difference.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:57:24 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

LOL if he was a lawyer there'd be a bill attached...
--
RJB
1/27/2005 11:45:05 AM