unvented wall mounted gas space heater

Page 1 of 2
Are there any out there, that don't look like they belong in an industrial machine shop? I don't have the clearance to put in something like a Vermont Castings stove in my family room (where I have an available gas flexline), but I'd like to hang something decorative as well as functional. Most everything I see online is flat-out ugly.
adTHANKSvance, Dan
shortmort37 wrote:

When you get cold... it will be Beautiful! ;-p Try not to kill yourself and your family and purchase a vented heater. Nowhere in America can an occupied space have unvented heaters. Its just plain stupid to have unvented!

[I'm only reading alt.home.repair - so if someone comments & wants me to see it- leave a.h.r in the crosspost list]
-snip-

A properly sized unvented unit is no problem in a *properly sized* occupied space. Just like with the vented units a CO & gas detector is a wise purchase. [and probably required by most codes]
My digital readout CO detector shows no CO in my living room with an unvented heater. When I had the non-digital one, the only time it ever went off was when I was using all 4 burners and the oven in the gas stove in an adjacent kitchen. This was in the spring and the unvented stove wasn't running.
My local codes have a chart of max BTU for an unvented heater for each room size . Check your code enforcement office and your local utility.
Jim
FFS ocean, whay aren't you bashing Jews and minorities in this group?
On 10 Jan 2006 15:41:19 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Oceans dont bash Jews. Thats what rocks are for.
I agree with Don. Unvented heaters can be dangerous. You are responsible for keeping your family safe.

I do not know what your application is, but the Dynavent vented wall furnaces are good: http://www.dynavent.com /
My father has 2 of these in his condo and they heat very well.
http://alsheating.com/RinnaiHeater.htm
Those unvented heaters stink, literally. It will often smell like you are using a kerosene heater. That smell is unburned gasses. They may be legal and meet some standard somewhere, but they are bad news for your health. Your family will suffer headeaches and breathing problems at the least. It just ain't worth the headache!

You don't have a gas stove, do you?
snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org wrote:

There's a considerable difference between an 8000 BTU stove burner that's operating for 15 minutes in a 24 hour period and a 100,000 BTU furnace burner that may run for several hours, when it comes to undesireable gasses...
Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:

Clark, the people that own these unvented devices have been sold a bill of goods. Now that they are stuck, they want to rationalize their position. You can't simply burn something in the open air and expect the air not to contain chemicals. The same principle does apply to a gas stove. A window should be cracked open when they are used. Many experts recommend that. Also, when there are power outages and people try to use a gas stove running constantly to supply heat, they are advised against that for health reasons. People still take chances and do it. The fact that something meets code in some jurisdiction is not enough to satisfy my desire for clean air.
Al Bundy wrote:

I remember when I first got my license (about an hour ago) asking the instructor why a gas stove didn't need to be vented. He couldn't come up with an answer. I have attended a few emergency calls that involved CO detectors being activated by stoves. It's usually the homeowner boiling water for hours on end in a large pot, like when making tomatoe sauce in the fall. When a flame impinges on a cold surface, walla! These non-vented heaters aren't "special"....the people who buy them are.

I never endorsed nor would I ever install a ventless heater for myself.
On the other hand I have never smelled the "stink" that "smells like [I] am using a kerosene heater" even when running a 30k BTU oven and three 15k BTU burners for hours. My family does not suffer from headaches or breathing problems when cooking for hours.
Burning natural gas just doesn't smell like kerosene. If its burning properly there is no (human) detectable odor. If someone (like you) wants to say an unvented natural gas appliance adds unwanted water vapor as well as potentially harmful combustion byproducts to the living space, I'll agree.
If a poster says it smells like kerosene and will at a minimum give everyone headaches and breathing problems, I'll happily imply that the poster is spreading misinformation and hope that no one believes anything they say on the subject.
snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.org wrote:

No I don't. I have an electric stove and gas fired hot water heat. I also own part of three natural gas wells in Caddo County and would be glad to sell all I can for $12/000 to anyone using vented or unvented.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I have 2 of them and don't smell anything odd, no deaths or headaches either........
As long as you have plenty of oxygen to burn in a room, and a clean burning appliance, all the vented gases will be carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, water vapor, and some trace gases. BUT the minute you run shy of oxygen, or have INCOMPLETE combustion because of a plugged air shutter or something, then you'll be creating carbon monoxide, deadly, odorless, and quite effective in eliminating your family.
--
Zyp

"Al" < snipped-for-privacy@nospamearthlink.net> wrote in message

In general if you can smell a gas appliance it is in need of adjustments and you are asking for trouble.
If my tank is nearly empty I can sometimes get the very slightest of of odors from the additive they put in LP gas. But no-one has ever mentioned an odor from my unvented stove in the 5-6 years I've been running it.
I'd love to read a recent [last 5-10 years] scientific study that supports your 'unvented gas heaters are bad for your health' statement.
Here's one from 10 years ago that I think seems to be calling the mold from the excess water vapor the major pollutant. [not so likely in my house-- even with the LP heater throwing off supplemental heat & vapor, I still never get above 38% humidity in the winter]
It also has ridiculous statements like "Continuous use of a 40,000 Btu per hour heater, as would be necessary in a cold climate, causes indoor pollutant levels to exceed these government-specified air quality and health standards."
Under certain circumstances there is no doubt that you can create a hazard with a ventless heater. But I doubt that a reasonable person, who installs one properly sized for a room will ever be exposed to excess pollutants. [including CO]
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Carbon monoxide......no color..no taste...no odour....no wake up from deep sleep!
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:07:42 -0500, Cooltemp Industries

But it *is* detectable & that's why it is foolish to have any combustion heater- vented or unvented- without having CO detectors placed appropriately on each floor.
[and my unvented heater has never registered any reading on the detector in that room]
Jim