Are there any out there, that don't look like they belong in an
industrial machine shop? I don't have the clearance to put in
something like a Vermont Castings stove in my family room (where I have
an available gas flexline), but I'd like to hang something decorative
as well as functional. Most everything I see online is flat-out ugly.
When you get cold... it will be Beautiful! ;-p Try not to kill yourself
and your family and purchase a vented heater. Nowhere in America can an
occupied space have unvented heaters. Its just plain stupid to have
[I'm only reading alt.home.repair - so if someone comments & wants me
to see it- leave a.h.r in the crosspost list]
A properly sized unvented unit is no problem in a *properly sized*
occupied space. Just like with the vented units a CO & gas
detector is a wise purchase. [and probably required by most codes]
My digital readout CO detector shows no CO in my living room with an
unvented heater. When I had the non-digital one, the only time
it ever went off was when I was using all 4 burners and the oven in
the gas stove in an adjacent kitchen. This was in the spring and the
unvented stove wasn't running.
My local codes have a chart of max BTU for an unvented heater for each
room size . Check your code enforcement office and your local
Those unvented heaters stink, literally. It will often smell like you
are using a kerosene heater. That smell is unburned gasses. They may be
legal and meet some standard somewhere, but they are bad news for your
health. Your family will suffer headeaches and breathing problems at
the least. It just ain't worth the headache!
There's a considerable difference between an 8000 BTU stove burner that's
operating for 15 minutes in a 24 hour period and a 100,000 BTU furnace burner
that may run for several hours, when it comes to undesireable gasses...
Clark, the people that own these unvented devices have been sold a bill
of goods. Now that they are stuck, they want to rationalize their
position. You can't simply burn something in the open air and expect
the air not to contain chemicals. The same principle does apply to a
gas stove. A window should be cracked open when they are used. Many
experts recommend that. Also, when there are power outages and people
try to use a gas stove running constantly to supply heat, they are
advised against that for health reasons. People still take chances and
do it. The fact that something meets code in some jurisdiction is not
enough to satisfy my desire for clean air.
I remember when I first got my license (about an hour ago) asking the
instructor why a gas stove didn't need to be vented. He couldn't come up
with an answer.
I have attended a few emergency calls that involved CO detectors being
activated by stoves. It's usually the homeowner boiling water for hours
on end in a large pot, like when making tomatoe sauce in the fall.
When a flame impinges on a cold surface, walla!
These non-vented heaters aren't "special"....the people who buy them are.
I never endorsed nor would I ever install a ventless heater for myself.
On the other hand I have never smelled the "stink" that "smells like
[I] am using a kerosene heater" even when running a 30k BTU oven and three
15k BTU burners for hours. My family does not suffer from headaches or
breathing problems when cooking for hours.
Burning natural gas just doesn't smell like kerosene. If its burning
properly there is no (human) detectable odor. If someone (like you) wants
to say an unvented natural gas appliance adds unwanted water vapor as
well as potentially harmful combustion byproducts to the living space,
If a poster says it smells like kerosene and will at a minimum give
everyone headaches and breathing problems, I'll happily imply that the
poster is spreading misinformation and hope that no one believes anything
they say on the subject.
No I don't. I have an electric stove and gas fired hot water heat. I
also own part of three natural gas wells in Caddo County and would be
glad to sell all I can for $12/000 to anyone using vented or unvented.
As long as you have plenty of oxygen to burn in a room, and a clean burning
appliance, all the vented gases will be carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, water
vapor, and some trace gases. BUT the minute you run shy of oxygen, or have
INCOMPLETE combustion because of a plugged air shutter or something, then
you'll be creating carbon monoxide, deadly, odorless, and quite effective in
eliminating your family.
"Al" < firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote in message
In general if you can smell a gas appliance it is in need of
adjustments and you are asking for trouble.
If my tank is nearly empty I can sometimes get the very slightest of
of odors from the additive they put in LP gas. But no-one has ever
mentioned an odor from my unvented stove in the 5-6 years I've been
I'd love to read a recent [last 5-10 years] scientific study that
supports your 'unvented gas heaters are bad for your health'
Here's one from 10 years ago that I think seems to be calling the mold
from the excess water vapor the major pollutant. [not so likely
in my house-- even with the LP heater throwing off supplemental heat
& vapor, I still never get above 38% humidity in the winter]
It also has ridiculous statements like "Continuous use of a 40,000 Btu
per hour heater, as would be necessary in a cold climate, causes
indoor pollutant levels to exceed these government-specified air
quality and health standards."
Under certain circumstances there is no doubt that you can create a
hazard with a ventless heater. But I doubt that a reasonable person,
who installs one properly sized for a room will ever be exposed to
excess pollutants. [including CO]
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:07:42 -0500, Cooltemp Industries
But it *is* detectable & that's why it is foolish to have any
combustion heater- vented or unvented- without having CO detectors
placed appropriately on each floor.
[and my unvented heater has never registered any reading on the
detector in that room]
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.