unvented wall mounted gas space heater

Are there any out there, that don't look like they belong in an industrial machine shop? I don't have the clearance to put in something like a Vermont Castings stove in my family room (where I have an available gas flexline), but I'd like to hang something decorative as well as functional. Most everything I see online is flat-out ugly.

adTHANKSvance, Dan

Reply to
shortmort37

When you get cold... it will be Beautiful! ;-p Try not to kill yourself and your family and purchase a vented heater. Nowhere in America can an occupied space have unvented heaters. Its just plain stupid to have unvented!

Reply to
Don Ocean

I agree with Don. Unvented heaters can be dangerous. You are responsible for keeping your family safe.

Reply to
Bob

buffalobill

I do not know what your application is, but the Dynavent vented wall furnaces are good:

My father has 2 of these in his condo and they heat very well.

Reply to
Mikepier

Those unvented heaters stink, literally. It will often smell like you are using a kerosene heater. That smell is unburned gasses. They may be legal and meet some standard somewhere, but they are bad news for your health. Your family will suffer headeaches and breathing problems at the least. It just ain't worth the headache!

Reply to
Al Bundy

-snip-

-snip-

A properly sized unvented unit is no problem in a *properly sized* occupied space. Just like with the vented units a CO & gas detector is a wise purchase. [and probably required by most codes]

My digital readout CO detector shows no CO in my living room with an unvented heater. When I had the non-digital one, the only time it ever went off was when I was using all 4 burners and the oven in the gas stove in an adjacent kitchen. This was in the spring and the unvented stove wasn't running.

My local codes have a chart of max BTU for an unvented heater for each room size . Check your code enforcement office and your local utility.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You don't have a gas stove, do you?

Reply to
someone

How about Rinnai?

Tracey

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I have 2 of them and don't smell anything odd, no deaths or headaches either........

Reply to
Al

FFS ocean, whay aren't you bashing Jews and minorities in this group?

Reply to
alpertl

There's a considerable difference between an 8000 BTU stove burner that's operating for 15 minutes in a 24 hour period and a 100,000 BTU furnace burner that may run for several hours, when it comes to undesireable gasses...

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Oceans dont bash Jews. Thats what rocks are for.

Reply to
ftwhd

As long as you have plenty of oxygen to burn in a room, and a clean burning appliance, all the vented gases will be carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, water vapor, and some trace gases. BUT the minute you run shy of oxygen, or have INCOMPLETE combustion because of a plugged air shutter or something, then you'll be creating carbon monoxide, deadly, odorless, and quite effective in eliminating your family.

Reply to
Zyp

In general if you can smell a gas appliance it is in need of adjustments and you are asking for trouble.

If my tank is nearly empty I can sometimes get the very slightest of of odors from the additive they put in LP gas. But no-one has ever mentioned an odor from my unvented stove in the 5-6 years I've been running it.

I'd love to read a recent [last 5-10 years] scientific study that supports your 'unvented gas heaters are bad for your health' statement.

Here's one from 10 years ago that I think seems to be calling the mold from the excess water vapor the major pollutant. [not so likely in my house-- even with the LP heater throwing off supplemental heat & vapor, I still never get above 38% humidity in the winter]

It also has ridiculous statements like "Continuous use of a 40,000 Btu per hour heater, as would be necessary in a cold climate, causes indoor pollutant levels to exceed these government-specified air quality and health standards."

Under certain circumstances there is no doubt that you can create a hazard with a ventless heater. But I doubt that a reasonable person, who installs one properly sized for a room will ever be exposed to excess pollutants. [including CO]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I misread this question earlier, so I'm a little late in answering it--

Mine's a Desa. I thought it was cool that they made it from cast iron and it is as heavy as a woodstove-- and it probably does add to the illusion-- but man is it a bear to move. [I don't do it often, but I found the best way to get rid of the dust is to take it outside and blow the dust with compressed air.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Clark, the people that own these unvented devices have been sold a bill of goods. Now that they are stuck, they want to rationalize their position. You can't simply burn something in the open air and expect the air not to contain chemicals. The same principle does apply to a gas stove. A window should be cracked open when they are used. Many experts recommend that. Also, when there are power outages and people try to use a gas stove running constantly to supply heat, they are advised against that for health reasons. People still take chances and do it. The fact that something meets code in some jurisdiction is not enough to satisfy my desire for clean air.

Reply to
Al Bundy

No I don't. I have an electric stove and gas fired hot water heat. I also own part of three natural gas wells in Caddo County and would be glad to sell all I can for $12/000 to anyone using vented or unvented.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Carbon monoxide......no color..no taste...no odour....no wake up from deep sleep!

Reply to
Cooltemp Industries

But it *is* detectable & that's why it is foolish to have any combustion heater- vented or unvented- without having CO detectors placed appropriately on each floor.

[and my unvented heater has never registered any reading on the detector in that room]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht