Unusual repair

My tenant accidentally discharged his 12 gauge shotgun and destroyed my staircase baluster, front door and front door double tempered glass side window . Holy smokes, didn't know those little pellets could go through a solid core wood door from 25' away. Lucky there was no one standing in front of the it. Half of the police force from my small town converged to the rental and one of them said it was a nice semi automatic shotgun, better than the police pump action issue.
Anyway, the door would be an easy fix but where can one find a matching baluster? I guess stain and gloss finish to match the existing staircase would be a challenge. I also got some Lexan to replace the safety glasses, hope it will work.
<Frank> wrote in message

Many balusters are classic deigns that have been available for years. Try the local lumber yards. The stain may be a challenge after some years though. Good luck.

A real paint store will help you match the stain. I use Sherwin Williams, and they go to great lengths to make the colors match.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
<Frank> wrote in message

On 6/2/2008 1:55 PM Pipedown spake thus:

Balusters are turned, not carved. (Well, I 'spose you *could* carve one, but ...)
conversation with the average voter.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

deer, bunnies, etc.
<Frank> wrote in message

After 25 years in rentals I thought I had heard and experienced it all. Thanks for correcting me. -:)
A local woodworking shop can make one to match if the age prevents buying one that does.
The replacement glass unit can be purchased from the door maker. Look for the name on the hinges or the top edge of the door. The sizes have been somewhat standard for the last 20 years so brand may not be all that important. A local glass shop can order a tempered replacement for whatever size you need.
I agree with the others about the stain and finish.
Colbyt
Frank wrote:

'Accidental' discharge aimed out the front door? Yeah, right. I smell a pissed off husband or boyfriend, and/or a drug deal gone bad. Does this fellow have a history with the law? Around here, if the cops repeatedly get called to a rental, the city padlocks the place for a year, and landlord is SOL. They want landlords to only rent to law-abiding folk. Unless he has a hell of good explanation, a clean record, and foots all the repair costs, I'd be trying to get his ass out of there ASAP.
-- aem sends....