Unusual Problem, Small Area of Floor Warm

I have a strange thing going on that no one can seem to figure out. In my house I have ceramic tile (underlying the tile is a cement slab) installed several years ago. In a small area near the kitchen, about 2' by 2', the tiles are noticeably warmer than the other tiles around them. That is, about

4 of the tiles are affected. They look no different than the other tiles. They are not near any heat-producing appliances. It is not caused by the sun hitting the area (the area is far from a window). There is no water leak (I checked my meter, and it does not move unless I have water running from a faucet). Any ideas? Thanks,
Reply to
Ross Payne

Well, if the kitchen's on ground (no basement), then it's likely an alien craft waiting for the pilots to arrive from above. Maybe install a few extra lightening rods ... or consider selling ... Geez that was one bad movie ... wotw remake.

Reply to
bowgus

I would guess that the hot water pipe to the kitchen sink is in the slab and comes a bit closer to the surface where you feel the warm area. Muff

Reply to
Muff

Maybe someone tossed out an RTG and it somehow ended up in the fill under your house. Borrow a Geiger counter and see what you find.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

had almost the same problem and it was a hot water pipe that was seeping.

cost was about $1200 to dig up concrete slab and repair leak (repairing leak was the easy part).

4 of the tiles are affected. They look no different than the other tiles. They are not near any heat-producing appliances. It is not caused by the sun hitting the area (the area is far from a window). There is no water leak (I checked my meter, and it does not move unless I have water running from a faucet). Any ideas? Thanks,
Reply to
stevie

One way is to drill small holes in the grout lines and use a moisture meter with long probes to check the moisture level around that area.

RicodJour