Unusual Kohler tub drain tool needed

I have a Kohler tub waste / overflow set that I'm replacing (installed around 1940), and I've run into a snag. The drain strainer doesn't use the standard X-shaped innards, and I need some sort of internal tool to unscrew the drain cover (strainer) from the tub drain.

Here's the shape I'm looking at:

I could possibly loosen the thing by putting a drift or screwdriver against one of the two tabs and striking it, trying to knock it around counter-clockwise, but I'd rather not risk chipping the tub's porcelain. Everything else has put up a pretty good fight, probably due to its age.

Anyone seen such a tool that would fit that shape? Search engines aren't working for me here. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Barr

It looks like an 1-1/2" steel pipe just might fit. (IIRC, standard

1-1/2" steel pipe is pretty close to 1-7/8" OD) If it does fit, it would be fairly easy to make yourself a wrench by notching the end.

Or get one of these:

Or this:

Mike Paulsen

That's an excellent idea! I was considering hacking up a piece of plate steel, but that would be about 11 times more effort.

Thanks!

Reply to
Joseph650

Another way to make a tool would be to grind the edge(s) of a 2" X 1/4" piece of flat steel until it fit down into the hole. Use a pipe wrench or adjustable wrench to turn it.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young