Unused chimney as a source of heat loss? Solution?

I have a traditional brick chimney which I no longer use as I have switched to a high efficiency propane furnace (so the smoke goes out through a small pipe).
Any estimates of how much heat loss I am having (brick having a low R-value) and what I should about it? (I don't think I have the energy to remove it).
--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Insulate around it as best you can and be sure to cap the top and block the base to prevent air from moving in or out.

Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:
Jonathan Grobe wrote:

ceramic liner by maybe a half inch. Not sure how it was attached. Inside, I sealed around damper with a silicone type caulk. I had closed off the fireplace because wife did not like burning wood smell and we put in an electric insert.
Frank wrote:

Has she no soul ? ;~)
Graham

Install a top damper. Google "top damper". This is a better way, I think, because it is not permanent. If you sell the place, the new owner may want to use the fireplace every now & then.
Saw a thing on one of those DIY shows that was an air bladder that blocked the flue when stuffed in and pumped up.

The major heat loss, even with damper closed, is air rising up the stack. T