Untrained Dogs, Carpet, Wood floors, etc...HELPPPPPPP!!!!

I love my wife, really I do but I am at the breaking point when it comes to her 3 Pomeranian dogs. The short of it is that they are peeing all over the place and are esentially untrainable. We have tried... Belly bands. Crates. etc
They go out in the yard, walk around for 10 minutes, come inside and piss.
It's not like we have not had dogs before because we have had : Collies Labs Dalmation (don't ask, there is a reason they keep them in fire houses)
and so forth.....
All have been trainable, easily trainable in fact, but these Poms are a disaster.
They are peeing everywhere and while my wife is dilligent about cleaning it up, she is fighting a losing battle.
So anyway, my 5 year old brand new, custom built house is starting to smell like a toilet and I am spreading "Natures Miracle" by the gallon.
They are spraying the doors, walls, carpets and corner moldings heating basboards (we have hot water baseboard heat) and any other place they decide to squirt. I have sealed most of baseboard moldings with RTV so that the urine does not get behind it but things are becoming insane here.
The bottoms of my hollow core doors are turning to mush and curling up at the bottom due to the piss.
My wife denies there is a problem although it is obviously seen and smelled by anyone with a pulse.
My questions are as follows:
1. What would you do? (I love the dogs and love my wife but my "castle is being destroyed.....)
2. Would plastic doors help?
3. Eliminate the carpet? (I hate carpet anyway)
Regarding hardwood, laminate floors, would this help things? I am looking at glueless Uni-clic brand but it is very expensive.
Any advice, both mechanical as well as social advice would be very much appreciated because I am seriously about to end a 19 year marriage over these "pisseranians"...
So WHAT would YOU do?
Devon

<snip>
<snip>
You've got more serious problems than you realize.
Ann Landers of course would recommend counseling for you & your wife.
Dogs should fit the situation, not the other way around. She'll probably end up with the house anyway, it sounds like you need a lawyer. If your wife refuses to get rid of the dogs
The dogs wanna pee inside? , well id stick their noses in it good , real good smush it in , and leave em outside. Till they are peeed out. Peeing inside and they STAY outside . Period Your the boss , train em or shoot em its your choise.
Try walking them everry day , you jerks . it works wonders , sounds like ANIMAL ABUSE no maintenance you Fat Fuckers
You guys - gals sound like a bunch of fat asss loosers , I never had a dog that wanted to piss where it lived because it was WALKED as hole YOUR JaCHASSWES , ASSSES , ass goles , get it < YOU moroimns looseeers
webtv users stik out like a sore thumb...
m Ransley wrote:

And you just HAD to quote his tripe, didn't you? Idiot.
<PLONK>

[nothing worth reading, as usual]

[snip]
All this is well and good except for one slight difficulty: Pomeranians are notorious for their low trainability. This approach has little likelihood of success.
The real problem is this:

Does she have a normal sense of smell? If not, did she at one time? Sudden loss of sense of smell can be a sign of medical problems ranging from mineral deficiency to brain tumor, and should be checked out by a physician.

Once medical problems (both spousal and canine) have been eliminated from consideration, a psychological evaluation seems to be in order. For your wife, not for the dogs. Why does she refuse to recognize the problem? Does she harbor some hostility towards you, that she is passively expressing in this way?

No. The stench will remain.

The urine will just soak into the wood floor.

Probably cheaper than a divorce. But definitely more expensive than euthanizing the dogs.

You have a serious problem. Several problems, in fact. Poms are hard to train. They're dumber than a box of rocks. And IMO your wife, assuming there's nothing wrong with her sense of smell, has some psychological issues somewhere that need to be resolved. It's _not_normal_ to allow one's house to become soaked with dog pee. She's unable (or unwilling) to recognize the problem, or unable (or unwilling) to do anything about it. Any way you slice it, that adds up to a need IMO for a medical and psychological evaluation of your missus.

If you have children still living at home, IMO it's important to keep the marriage intact. Of course, it's also important that they be raised in a sanitary environment.
If there aren't any children involved whose welfare you must consider, then it looks real simple to me: tell her to choose between you and the dogs. But be prepared for the possibility that she'll take the dogs.

mineral
You also become desensitized to a smell if you are around it all the time, your brain just learns to filter it out. It becomes mere background noise. I don't generally smell many odors around my own house, which I live in daily - but if I go away on vacation for a couple weeks I'll definitely notice a doggy mustiness when I first get home. But after a day or two I don't smell it any more.
Debbie
:
news:A72rc.9623 : > : > Does she have a normal sense of smell? If not, did she at one time? Sudden : > loss of sense of smell can be a sign of medical problems ranging from : mineral : > deficiency to brain tumor, and should be checked out by a physician. :
doug, i am one of those folks who DOES NOT become desensitized to the smell of pets! i say this is a GOOD THING!
i am amazed at the smells i pick up in homes that have pets, and i'm grateful that i can smell pet odors in my own house. frequent dog grooming, and reduction of carpeted areas seems to help a lot. BTW, wiping up floors with vinegar in the water is a BIG MISTAKE! vinegar leaves the tile floors shiny,(vinegar vs. residue) but it seems to accentuate smells!

Tile is a good thing. :-) The breeder I got my shelties from had tile floors in her entire house, just because they were so easy to clean up after puppy accidents. Whenever she had a litter of pups on the ground she just kept a mop, and a big bucket on wheels available all the time.
Debbie