Unknown Paint

I am attempting to paint some cabinets in a home that I just purchased and I was unsure of the type of paint that was used prior. I have sanded the cabinets and began to paint (latex semi-gloss, after a day of drying I attempted to put the second coat on and it lifted the paint right off. What does this mean? I want to paint the cabinets properly and actually be able to wash them without the paint coming off every time.

I have looked over some of the previous posts regading the possiblity that it is an oil based paint that I am painting over. Do I need to strip the paint off since sanding didnt do the trick? Should I have used a primer before painting with the latex?

Please help, I cant afford a painter to come in and do the entire kitchen

Reply to
jonzie
30 years in the painting business, and I would NEVER use latex on cabinets or wood. oil base semi gloss, with a primer first. if you thin the oil base 25% it will go on easier than latex and hold much longer. only amateurs use latex on wood
Reply to
The hooligan

Latex on cabinets that have oil and imbedded grease will never work, remove it. You may have washed it but years of touching with greasy hands means stripping bare is the only sure way, then use oil

Reply to
ransley