Universal garage door opener?

I want to get a new garage door opener.
I currently have an old wood garage door, that opens Out, but eventually I want to get a new aluminum door that opens Up
so, do they make openers that are compatible with both type doors? I can't seem to find an opener that Says it does
I guess I need a link, or model#
thanks marc

Every garage door opener (gdo) I've seen or dealt with in the last 40 years would easily work with either type of door.
The gdo merely provides the minimal force required to overcome the slight "close" bias that properly balanced door / spring system creates. btw... the gdo is much weaker than the typical human & will struggle with a poorly adjusted door. If you have trouble opening the door, he gdo will too.
The gdo packaging & description is silent on door type because door type doesn't matter.
cheers Bob
On Friday, January 4, 2013 9:41:58 AM UTC-8, DD_BobK wrote:

thanks Bob
I learned something today
marc

That depends on what he means by "opens out". If he means that it's a one piece door that opens outward at the bottom, with the top then going inside the garage, then I agree with your assessment. However there are other types of old garage doors, eg carriage style with side hinges, that open out but are not compatible with a conventional door opener.
On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:20:49 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I have a 20+ year old one piece wood door, that opens outward at the bottom, with the top going inside the garage...
I am going to assume Bob's assessment is correct - for my particular door.
I will confirm it [somehow] of course.
marc

You might be able to adapt a standard garage door opener to operate a hinged carriage style door. Of course you'd have to mount it outside, like in a tree or something. ;-)

T4-
I figured that the OP was a novice & was describing what we call a "slab" door in SoCal.
Yeah, there are swinging doors & sliding (roller hung) doors but (imo) those didn't fit my interpretation of his description.
cheers Bob
On Friday, January 4, 2013 12:49:48 PM UTC-8, DD_BobK wrote:

Bob,
I am a novice, with garages & openers
repeat [posted above]:
I have a 20+ year old one piece wood-ish door, that opens outward at the bottom, with the top going inside the garage...
I need a new opener that will be compatible with this door, and a newer aluminum door, that opens Up, and curves in at the top. Multi sections I think.
marc

Make sure you have the clearance if do as you plan between the garage door when open and the roof of your vehicle assuming you are putting your vehicles in the garage. It's possible that the old style door is higher when open than the new type you want to install with an opener.

Other way around - sectional provides full height full length - swing panel can have a problem with, say a van or pickup with cap parked close inside garage - sectional much less. However sectional rewuires a bit more clearance above the door - particularly for GDO.
On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 19:14:29 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You last sentence is what I was referring to. In other words because of the GDO, the sectional door will likely have to be a bit lower in elevation (vs. old door) when above the vehicles. It may not be a problem but should be a consideration. I recall when I first lived in NYC, we had a garage door like his old one.
BIG SNIP

Marco-
The two type of door to which you refer are: Slab door (at least per SoCal language) Sectional door
Any currently sold gdo will operate these door types.
What is you plan to confirm or deny or verify cross compatibility?
cheers Bob
cheers Bob

I would get the new door FIRST, and the added cost of a opener when added to a new door is minimal.
If your paying someone to install the opener you will be paying twice to install the opener:(
not worth the hassle:( and costs:(

Virtually any standard "track type" GDO can handle one piece swing up doors as well as roll type or sectional doors. The only thing they cannot handle are full roll-up (currugated) or bard door type.

Bard door type...
You mean like on Shakespeare's garage?