Uninsulated floors in a Cape House , cold rooms

1st Floor is uninsulated As in; down in basement look up at rafters, or joists, and the 6 inch deep space is bare Except for 2 to 3 FT by the edge at Cement Walls But it gets cold in here Started putting up R19, but being told not to Won't this slow the travel of heat in a room If cold isn't right there to take it's place, then the heat would stay longer Right>????
On 12/18/2014 9:37 AM, Phill B wrote:

It will reduce heat loss (some, altho ceilings are far more prone since warm air rises, but conduction is still going on) from the room itself, yes.
Whether it's overall "win" for the house depends mostly on whether the basement area is living space at all or not and where are the utilities, water lines, etc., etc., located. If you remove existing stray heat from an unheated area such as that, you _may_ introduce the ills of freezing water lines or the like.
More details needed...
BTW, who said not to and why? Above like reasons by someone knowledgeable of the situation and building in general???

Let see here Regular Basement. Cement Walls, Water Pipes, Electrical, Phone and Cable Wi res above, 2x6 flooring, plywood with oak floor above that Electrical, Phone, and Cable Box on one back corner Opposite corner has Boiler by Chimney
Mass Save guys came here, I asked and they told me not to insulate floor ca use then the heat from basement will not get to 1st FL. I looked at the guy and said what Heat? From the Boiler by a brick wall that supports the base of a chimney at the side of house which is exposed to cold every winter
Only thing living in basement is the Rabbit And stuff stored there
On 12/18/2014 11:06 AM, Phill B wrote:

Yep...they're right in all likelihood that it's not a "win" for the house.
Insulate the outside barrier walls, etc., instead, and the basement floor. See the link I posted elsewhere.
Since I'm making this response here, while it's again associated w/ the attic instead I'll just add the other link I intended that has some nice diagrams that may be of interest here instead of yet another post...
<http://www.energysmartohio.com/blog/how-to-insulate-and-ventilate-knee-wall-attics

On 12/18/2014 11:16 AM, dpb wrote: ...
<http://www.buildingscience.com/doctypes/digests Attics/basements/...
On Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:16:57 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

guy and said what Heat? From the Boiler by a brick wall that supports the base of a chimney at the side of house which is exposed to cold every winte r

+1
No insulation in typical basement ceilings here in the NYC area either, including new construction, so it's obviously not a code reqt. They do insulate around the rim joist. Ground temp is around 50F year round, so you only have a 20F delta. I guess insulation would get you something, at least in the winter. In the summer, it would keep the 50F basement from helping with a small amount of similar cooling effect though. Sealing any drafts from openings, basement windows, etc would probably get you more benefit.

If you don't use the basement in the winter, insulate the floors. By "use" I mean you need it heated because you spend time down there. Make sure the basement is warm enough that the pipes won't freeze. And the rabbit doesn't die.
On 12/18/2014 12:00 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

But, as noted in a follow-up upthread, this is likely a net "lose" for the whole house as the boiler is in the basement and it contributing to the heating of the house. Isolating that from the house by insulating the floor will cut that off and require more heat from the actual operation of the boiler to make it up.
Add throw rugs, etc., to take the cold feel off the floor itself.
Add insulation to basement, particularly as another noted to rim joists and stop air infiltration is best bet financially on the actual insulation.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:00:47 -0600, Vic Smith

That's right. If the rabbit dies, someone is pregnant.
You probably don't want that.
Thank You all for the ideas
Rabbit is up stairs now, but have to empty cage everyday...........
Have a great Holiday