Ungrounded GFCI Questions

I would presume that the "Test" button of ungrounded GFCI receptacles will not work, is that correct?
How essential is monthly GFCI testing?
Does replacing a 2 prong receptacle with a GFCI receptacle and then replacing the downstream 2 prong receptacles with 3 prong receptacles meet code requirements?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You would presume incorrectly.

Yes, if you put a "GFCI protected. No equipment ground" sticker on each of the downstream receptacles. Do not connect the grounds together unless you actually run a grounded wire to one of them.
Bob
That's interesting. I just thought (obviuosly without thinking about it much) that the test button provided a high resistance path from the hot to ground, but it is clear that it could just as easily provide the path from the protected hot to the upstream unprotected neutral. That way the GFCI would measure a difference in the currents of the protected legs and trip.

That's interesting. I just thought (obviuosly without thinking about it much) that the test button provided a high resistance path from the hot to ground, but it is clear that it could just as easily provide the path from the protected hot to the upstream unprotected neutral. That way the GFCI would measure a difference in the currents of the protected legs and trip.

The GFCI testers have a path from hot to ground, like you would think; but the GFCIs themselves go from hot to neutral.