Unglazed ceramic tile question...

Hi all -

Looking for a little information on unglazed ceramic tiles... I've installed regular glazed tile before, but not the unglazed ones.

- Are all unglazed ceramic tiles porcelain?

- Do I need to worry about staining the tile with the thinset mix or grout? Never had to worry about getting it on the tops of regular tile...

- How do you make the cuts? I read that you can't just score them with the blade machine... do I need a wetsaw to make all of the cuts?

- Will I need to reseal it now and again?

Anything else to be aware of that is different from regular ceramic?

Thanks!

Reply to
Alex

No. What's the water absorption spec? If no spec, then measure it yourself.

Just test one.

Depends on the tile. Typically you must saw.

Define "seal". Clear paint type? Wax or silicone water repellant type? Porcelain should be non-absorptive. Anything less you will regret under traffic.

"Sealer" is the wrong term for tile sealers.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch