uneven floor

My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will se that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and th addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is wher i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor. Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a frame wood floor over a crawspace
-- aj191e
Contact a construction engineer and look at having the addition raised on jacks and levelled. Don't just fix the floor because the structure will probably just continue to sag. *ESPECIALLY* since you're planning on putting the heaviest appliance in that location. It sagged now without it, how much more do you think it'll sag when you put a couple hundred pounds of fridge on it?

so what is your question

sometimes the foundation is fine, but the ends of the floor joists have crushed, usually due to longterm moisture in the footing/foundation. if so, shimming up the ends of the joists is a relatively straightforward process, although getting there to do it can be the tough part. another problem is whether building materials (baseboards, etc) have been added since the floor settled. these would obviously need to be cleared before the floor can be elevated.
bill

: :> :> My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a :> very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see :> that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the :> addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where :> i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor. :> Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed :> wood floor over a crawspace.:> :> :> -- :> aj191e : My house is nearly as old as yours, 10 years newer: built in 1910. My kitchen too slopes very noticeably toward the center of the house (center is depressed). Yes, I consider it a problem and when I get the foundation rebuilt I will ask the engineer first thing if he thinks the house can be effectively leveled. However, you might want to consider this - there's a positive to the floor sloping in the kitchen like it does. My refrigerator door, if it's not open more than about 45 degrees, closes by itself. I don't have to manually shut it. This is a nice thing.
Dan
It sunk for a reason, fix the reason.
You wouldn't fix a sinking ship by building a new deck on top would you?
Your problem is either an improper foundation failed/foundation or a rotted sill plate (The wood under the wall). Could be easy fix, could be a lot of work.

:It sunk for a reason, fix the reason. : :You wouldn't fix a sinking ship by building a new deck on top would you? : :Your problem is either an improper foundation failed/foundation or a rotted :sill plate (The wood under the wall). Could be easy fix, could be a lot of :work.
It's also possible that the ground under the house isn't stable. I think that an old house is apt to sink in many if not circumstances. If the house were on rock, deep-sunk rock, no, but most houses certainly aren't. :
: :> :> My kitchen was remodled by the previous owners. The contractor did a :> very bad job. If you take a look at one end of the room you will see :> that the floor is sloping down. The house is 105 years old and the :> addition's floor has settled. Because that end of the kitchen is where :> i would like to put my Refrigerator, i now need to fix the floor. :> Is their a product that i can use to even out the floor? It is a framed :> wood floor over a crawspace.:> :> :> -- :> aj191e :
Like the others have said, check foundations. Find the cause first and then remedy it. Go to your local home builders assn. Ask them for advice. There may even be some Gc's or sub's there between jobs. I'd take the time now to consider extending the basement. It'll give you the extra space down there as well. Once the floors are releveled, insist the contractor "mothers" all floor joists. That means studs are added to each joist for it's full length. It increases their structural capacity. You shouldn't have a problem after that .
This is my 2nd reply; other did not post. As others said fix the problem first. Visit your local home builders assn. They'll advise you. You may even find a Gc or sub there between jobs. I'd suggest even extending the foundation. You could use the extra basement space. Be sure to have him "mother" all floor joists the full length once they are relevelled. That means adding studs on each side of each joist to increase their structural capacity.