Understanding Roofers' quotations (in UK)

Apologies if this posting is inappropriate, but I would really appreciate any advice, as this job is well beyond a limited DIY-er like

me. I am resident in the United Kingdom and I have had two quotations to repair a flat garage roof, which has just started to leak. They are wildly different in price and, while there may well be other factors, I wonder whether the difference lies in the specifications which I will quote below. Both propose stripping

away existing felt etc and then EITHER (quoted exactly in each case)

FIRST FIRM 1. Lay three separate layer soft 747 BS ruberoid flat roofing felt, each sealed with hot bitumen so to bond together 2. Finish all edgings with 36 KG green mineral felt 3. Cover whole of the

roof area with solar reflecting alloy paint

SECOND FIRM

  1. Fixing new built up felt roof covering comprising base layer of type 3B felt fixed to existing decking and a cap layer of MP400 torch-on high performance mineral surfaced felt including for MP400 mineral surfaced felt to all perimeter details.

We're on a VERY tight budget and won't necessarily be in the property for ever (but certainly for the next 5 years or so and, anyway, we'd like to be able to sell it in a good condition), so want to pay as little as possible, consistent with getting a reliable job done. We would be so very grateful for any advice. (PS: I haven't indicated which of the quotes is higher/lower and wonder whether the specs make it obvious?) Thanks so much in advance for any advice or comments Paul

Reply to
Paul.A.Bowden

You may be aware there's some DIY info for Brits at:

Tells how to do roof repairs, so maybe help you make a decision.

Reply to
Jordan