Undermounting GFCI outlets from Kitchen Cabinets

I want to hang the outlets from the bottom of the cabinets facing down. Appliances would plug in pointing up. I am trying to keep the backsplash wall from being cluttered, or cutting holes into a stainless steel backsplash.

Is this allowed by the NEC? I guess it is possible that plugs could pull down from plugs, but that is not really dangerous. And it could be a problem finding the plugs without bending over to look, but once my coffee maker is plugged in, what else is there?

IKEA sells undermount lamps with electrical outlets built-in. Those lamps aren't hardwired into a circuit, though, so I am hedging against it.

When I look this issue up in Usenet, my keywords kick out the discussions about outlets, and the position of the ground.

Reply to
Osiewicz

210.52(C)(5) says (5) Receptacle Outlet Location. Receptacle outlets shall be located above, but not more than 500 mm (20 in.) above, the countertop. Receptacle outlets rendered not readily accessible by appliances fastened in place, appliance garages, or appliances occupying dedicated space shall not be considered as these required outlets. Exception: To comply with the conditions specified in (a) or (b), receptacle outlets shall be permitted to be mounted not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop. Receptacles mounted below a countertop in accordance with this exception shall not be located where the countertop extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base. (a) Construction for the physically impaired. (b) On island and peninsular countertops where the countertop is flat across its entire surface (no backsplashes, dividers, etc.) and there are no means to mount a receptacle within 500 mm (20 in.) above the countertop, such as an overhead cabinet.

The other issue is kitchen appliances have 24" cords so you would not be able to put them at the back of the counter.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's allowed by code, but you still need to maintain the proper depth boxes to accommodate wires and the device. Are you planning to cut holes in the bottom of your cabinets to recess boxes or will you have a deep cavity underneath? Another way to go is to use plugmold and have it protected by a remote GFI device somewhere or a GFI circuit breaker. You will also be required to have the two 20 amp circuits.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I wasn't clear in my first post and might have been misunderstood by another poster. I was planning to hang the outlets from the bottom of the overhead wall cabinets.

Rather than having all this work done of moving outlets, I am going to leave them in place and work around them. This kitchen is starting to get expensive.

Reply to
Osiewicz

Sorry, that may have been me ;-)

If the cabilet is less than 20" above the counter you are perfectly legal.

Reply to
gfretwell