Underlayment fastener

I'm replacing the vinyl floor in our kitchen with a porcelain tile floor. When I removed the old vinyl and the particle board underlayment I found it was fastened with a fastener type that I hadn't seen before.

The fastener is shaped similar to a letter "L" and has some small ridges on the long leg. What kind of fastener is this and what are they called?

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

As others have mentioned, they're called cleats. I've never seen them used to fasten underlayment, just wood strip flooring. There are better fasteners for underlayment.

RicodJour

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I'm sure he would require something that will stand up to 120mph winds...He designs walls that stand up to those standards ya know , so he thinks everything should be , just to be on the safe side , as stated in another thread about shear wall strength in a SHED....LOL....

Reply to
benick

In our new(er) home, the subfloor is Sturdifloor..a panel strip/OSB looking product. We were going ceramic tile thru much of the home at and the installer said that a plywood underlayment would be better than the chipboard underlayment sheets used in many nearby homes. We went with the PLY as it was only a few dollars more per sheet than the chipboard. The installer picked up a 5 gallon pail of white (carpenters) glue..he spread it liberally across the floor, placed the plywood sheets perpendicular to the sturdifloor sheets then used a LOT of air gun 15 GA staples to nail it down. Been in here 5 yrs now and no problems with the floor, no "bounce", no tile grout cracking. Seems pretty solid. I'd go that way again

Reply to
Rudy

Underlayment nails, aka bright ring-shank nails. You can also use narrow crown staples if you want to do it faster, but that would require you to rent a staple gun and buy a box of staples which would be way more staples than you'd need for a kitchen.

RicodJour

BTW, it is not my opinion, it is what is specified by pretty much all flooring manufacturers. Whenever you have these sort of questions, do a Google and add "architectural specifications". That will bring up a lot of manufacturers installation instructions. Don't rely on one manufacturer's recommendation. Read a few of them and you'll find a common recommendation - that's a safe way to go.

RicodJour

Excellent advise! Definitely worth much more than I paid for it :-)

Thanks,

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway