Underground phone line cut to house

I've not done any digging to check, but I would presume along the routes where they install the "buried fiber optic cable route" signs they also install the marker tape.

That or the blinding blue flash from the hole...

I would expect the marker tape is pretty much non existent for most residential drops.

I expect in many cases people don't even notice they chopped a wire and don't figure out until they try to make a call or notice the phone hasn't rung in a loooong time...

Reply to
Pete C.

Unless you know what you are doing, your best bet is to contact the phone company and pay your dues. It's a mistake for sure and a lesson.

Count yourself lucky that it was not an electric supply line or a gas feed. Had it been either, you most likely would have missed the opportunity to post in this news group.

Reply to
franz frippl

When I had cables marked, I was advised to work no closer than 18-24" to the line. The paint and flags are only estimates. Best to stay clear or to dig carefully to expose cables and then proceed.

Reply to
franz frippl

No offense, but this isn't rocket science to splice a cable. I'm just looking for the best parts.

phil

Reply to
brian