Underground phone line cut to house

Page 1 of 4
Scenario:
1) a 10 strand phone line (underground) was cut during a landscaping project. About 4 feet from entry of the cable as it goes into the house (into the basement).
2) The 'Digg' or 'OOps' number was not called first, it was obvious the cable would have been in that vicinity.
3) Will the phone company fix this for free? (as someone has told me)
Thanks
Phil

Dunno, but curious to hear the answers. The same thing happened to mine. I spliced a patch in there. Now the phone company has to come wire one end to the new addition, then run about twenty feet to the original location. Hope it's not too bad.
STeve

In most cases, the phone company should repair it. They typically are responsible for the line up to the outside box where it enters the home. They may in turn bill the landscaper who cut it, particularly since a markout service was not called.
I was thinking that the Miss Utility marking thing doesn't go to that level of detail with respect to where on your lawn not to dig unless there is some sort of main running through your lawn.
On Nov 19, 11:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The UFPO in NY only works in the right-of-way and the lines only have to be within (something like) 4' of the actual line.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:04:54 -0800 (PST), Pat

That was my experience too. They flagged the right of way but did not locate my phone line, which we hit ... of course. Fortunately I had a roll of flooded phone cable I found in a dumpster so I just had my "labor" ditch it in and I connected it up to there green post on the ROW. Their line was about 2" deep. I put it back about 18" down and "sleeved" it under the new driveway in a 2" PVC.
On Nov 19, 1:44 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

For you, the OP, and everyone else -- don't forget to put down the safety tape before you fill the trench back in.
In article

Safety tape? For (low voltage) communication cable? That's new.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

Safety to protect the cable, not the person digging. Bury cable deep, bury safety tape shallow so it hopefully gets dug up and noticed before the cable gets hit.

something like this http://www.goodmart.com/products/958016.htm http://www.goodmart.com/products/958692.htm http://www.goodmart.com/products/83875.htm
I don't know this company, it's just a google search.
Pat wrote:

Wow, thats a big minimum size roll for Harry Homeowner.
Might be a market out there for 100 foot as opposed to 1000 foot rolls of the phone stuff.

Yeah, case of eight, no less. That's surely a <ahem> LIFETIME supply!
--
:)
JR

In article

Thanks for posting the interesting links.
When it comes to "safety tape", I can't say I've ever seen it "protecting" non-hazardous, buried plant. That doesn't mean I think it doesn't happen or gets placed, just that I've never seen it in the field.
Usually, the way a brain-dead digger knows that something is amiss are the short lengths of fine, colored wire coming up with their spoils. Either that or when the convoy of telco trucks show up.
Safety tape is probably never placed for a buried phone "drop". It might have helped in the OP's case, though.
[chopping on "tree root"] Oh, sh*t! It's a WIRE! Ethel! Call the power company! What do you mean the phone's dead?
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

I've not done any digging to check, but I would presume along the routes where they install the "buried fiber optic cable route" signs they also install the marker tape.

That or the blinding blue flash from the hole...

I would expect the marker tape is pretty much non existent for most residential drops.

I expect in many cases people don't even notice they chopped a wire and don't figure out until they try to make a call or notice the phone hasn't rung in a loooong time...
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

When I did the CBYD thing prior to trenching new conduit to get proper power out to my shop, each utility came out with their cable locator, clamped the transmitter around the appropriate wire at the house and then tracked back accurately locating the wire back well past my designated work area, marking and flagging along the way. No surprises though, nothing in the way for 75' or the 80' run and then the last 5' was at the point where everything came to the house so I had to hand dig that section to avoid the phone, power and two cable lines.
On Nov 19, 10:36 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The 'landscaper' was the homeowner in this case.
I am sure the telco will fix it, but at what cost?
I have the two strands connected so there is service restored to the house.
phil

I'm trying to access the telco's computers and review their repair rates.....hmm....can't seem to do it. Unless you get unbelievably lucky and one of their repair people reads this newsgroup, I'm afraid you'll have to make a phonecall.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

in the Telco business, is to go to Lowes or Menards, etc. and get some splice beanies. These beanies have a place to push the 2 ends of the broken wire, same color. You then squeeze the beanie and it cuts the insulation and connects the 2 together. Some even have some silicon goo to make it more waterproof. They also have cylinders where you shove the spliced wires and apply a sealant.

It'll fail.
All the silicon goo/caulk/sealant/whatever isn't even CLOSE to the encapsulant used for "official" buried splices.
In >34 years I've lost count of all the DIY buried splices I've dug up. Sorry.
--
:)
JR

The line has already been patched (by telco) in the middle of its 1 furlong run one time from when the elec co. broke the phone line. I couldn't be there to see what he used, too bad. It was only about 4 years ago.
Surely this encapsulant can be purchased somewhere. Its a large city here.
Thanks
phil
ps thanks everyone for all the input.