Underground OIL TANKS - particularly in New Jersey

Page 1 of 2  
Before posting this , I did a search for "oil tanks" in this group. I got 84 results that ended up getting OFF TOPIC.
I saw some stupid advice, about "playing stupid" or "claiming ignorance" of the EXISTENCE of an underground tank. I thougth I could get away with this.
That no longer works.
Here in NJ, my next door neighbor is selling his house. He had ( for whatever reason ) NOT ONE BUT TWO tank detection companies come down and wave their magic wands looking for a tank. The act of "playing dumb" about the existence of a tank won't work here.
My neighbor and I got into a discussion about locating our tanks. I plan on having a company come in and check and sand or remove it and hope for no MAJOR $$$$ problems with contaminated soil.
My neighbor ended up sucking out sludge and sanding his tank HIMSELF. He has NO paperwork and NO inspection was done when he cut the top open. Half his tank is under an extension on the house and the other half is in the yard.
He tells me it is about 4 FEET to the top of the tank. My tank then is about 4 FEET deep and under a 4 inch patio slab - more work and $$ to remove and replace the patio in order to work on the tank.
The MAGIC WAND that the tank detector companies use >>> How deep can they detect a tank ??? Do they detect straight down or can they detect tanks on an angle such as under edge of a foundation ??? I say concrete is NO barrier to them. My neighbor thinks they may NOT detect my tank. I disagree.
I found no posts on any of the above.
TIA
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I know that both solutions are legal in NJ, but if I wanted to purchase your house you would HAVE to remove your tank before I would part with a dime, even if you had legal paperwork for a sanded tank. The chance of concealed contamination is just not worth it to me, and I suspect many lawyers would have the same reaction.
And I am now in the process of digging up my tank, so I know just how expensive it is.
--
George Eberhardt
(732)224-8988
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 23:11:22 -0400, in alt.home.repair RE: Re: Underground OIL TANKS - particularly in New Jersey "George Eberhardt"

Don't think of it as an expense. Think of it as an investment in the environment.
--
To reply to me directly, remove the CLUTTER from my email address.


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Maybe his efforts give him piece of mind but they won't amount to squat if he tries to sell his home. Its not what was or is in the tank that counts. What counts is that an EPA certified professional signs off on a piece of paper certifying that there is no soil contamination from the tank. Did your neighbor check or any leaks or cracks in/around the tank?
Your neighbor is lucky that his tank had no combustible material in it or didn't create enough spark while cutting through the metal to ignite anything that would have blown up in his face. Before or after sucking out the sludge.
A friend of mine in NJ did tank remediation for a number of years before moving to FL. The professionals that work on underground tank remediation, at least in NJ, are trained in hazmat and fire/explosion prevention for good reason.
Do you feel lucky?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 21 Jul 2005 07:36:04 -0700, in alt.home.repair RE: Re: Underground OIL TANKS - particularly in New Jersey snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

NJ is a great state. You are not even allowed to pump your own gas. It must be pumped by a station employee. Too dangerous for a citizen to handle. Just about everyone there has a scam going.
--
To reply to me directly, remove the CLUTTER from my email address.


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

What's wrong with that? Geez, I wish I could get my gas pumped for me here when it's 5F out.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Scam? Do you think you will save money standing out in the rain or cold pumping gas? Think again. In MA each town decides it the citizenry is capable of pumping gas. The full service towns are the same price as the self service. Self service just screws you.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

One more thing, you can pump your own gas if you'd like in NJ. I used to do it when I didn't feel like waiting.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Why do you think luck has anything to do with it? Just because the guy did it himself does not mean he did not have the proper knowledge to do it correctly. There are many competent welders and metal fabricators that have the ability to work on tanks that contained flammable products.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Of course there are.
Then let's assume the OP's neighbor is one of these people. Let him respond to the OP's questions and make sure he is doing any inspecting, venting, sucking and cutting safely.
Because I don't think anyone on this forum would want to empower the OP with enough information to properly blow himself up.
After all, what are neighbors for besides using your front lawn as their pet's toilet? He must be getting the help and instruction he needs if he's posting on this forum.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Uh oh. Sounds like you've got a dog catcher just like mine. Defines "animal control" as "sitting in the office watching soap operas all day", and getting in the truck only if someone reports a giraffe on the loose. In Rochester NY. :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Actually these are the pets people walk on leashes required by town ordinance. They owners actually witness and ignore the mess they leave on other people's property. If you catch them they can be fined $100.
I know because when I walk my dog I sometimes get "looks" from people on the other streets. I just hold up exhibit A in my plastic bag for them to see.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Oh yeah...I'm a veteran of those wars. They never end.
I recently asked someone (very politely) WITH a cleanup bag to not stop their dog on the corner of my lawn any more. She asked me why. I said "Because I asked nicely". She gave me a look and left. I'm sure she'll be back when it's dark, for some sick reason. Some people are friggin' nuts.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

Knowing you, you're lucky SHE doesn't being her whole family to shit in your yard.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Mind if I stop by your place and paint each side of the house a different color of my choosing? If this is a problem, explain why.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

Are you licensed and bonded? Or just certifiable?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Wrong answer. The right answer would be "No, because I decide what goes on here on my property. Not you. I do not want you painting my house."
Same reason I ask dog owners to go elsewhere, even if they plan on cleaning up after their pet.
There is no possible way around this logic. You know that.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

What I know is there is no possible way around the fact that you are completely devoid of a sense of humor. However you are fun to play fetch with sometimes.
Let us know when the neighbor comes back and chucks a big bag of dog shit on your porch.
- woosh - go get the ball skippy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

"Knowing you, you're lucky SHE doesn't being her whole family to shit in your yard."
That's humor?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Doug Kanter wrote:

I'm going to hate myself for this, but I agree with you. So very many people are only interested in what they want, with no regard for what it causes to others.
--
If you find a posting or message from myself offensive,
inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don\'t know
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.