Underground oil storage tank abandonment services ?

Page 2 of 3

Better do some more research on that Bill! Regulations vary by the state, typically residential underground tanks are not regulated, but many states they are. A simple Google search will bring up many state government web sits that do require removeal of an abandoned tank, especially if conaminated soil is found. This whole underground oil tank fiasco was hashed over about six months ago. Back then I did research on it and found numerous reports of people spending tens of thousands of dollars to clean up ungerground tanks. Besides possible government involvement, many lending instututions will not give a mortgage and insurance companies my not provide coverage if an underground tank exists! Greg
On 3 Jul 2004 12:15:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

So, what's the point here? From what point of view are we looking at this problem? Are we the homeowner or are we the potential buyer?
It's a "tempest in a teapot". You pump all the liquid out of the old tank and forget it...there is nothing in it to leak out after that so what is the mortgage company so concerned about? I just don't understand.
So the moral of this story is...if you have any evidence of oil heat in your house...when it comes time to sell...you're screwed unless you pay a contractor like me to come and dig it up...and then dig up an extra 50 dump truck loads of dirt and haul them away to a hazardous petroleum contaminated soil disposal facility.
There ain't no gettin around it either...I was looking at a copy of my house's deed registration online the other day and it clearly describes the type of heat a house has...I feel sorry for you people who live in older homes that used oil heat years ago...you're just screwed when it comes time to sell.
Bill

What the big concern is about is there may have been a small leak in the tank for years. A small enough leak can go undetected and over time make one hell of a mess. Can you imagine a tank leaking a gallon a month for few years?? Nobody will miss a few gallons over time. Not much fuel in the ground, but it makes one hell of a clean up! If the tank has been removed and the soil tested, no problems. If it has not been removed, insurance and lending companies don't want to be stuck with the clean up! The problem it not abandoned tanks, the problem is potential polution from the tank from earlier use. Greg
(Chet Hayes)

It's not quite that bad, unless it actually is leaking. Normally, what's done is to have a company come in and do a pressure test to determine if it may be leaking. If it's not, then nothing needs to be done, but buyers may still be reluctant. If I was buying a property like that and it had an old tank, I'd want it replaced with a new fiberglass one or plan on switching to gas and have the old one emptied and filled with sand.
On 4 Jul 2004 08:07:58 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net (Chet Hayes) wrote:

Having learned the hard way, I would never again consider buying a house with an oil tank in the ground. Before selling our present house, we had to have one removed at our expense including a lot of contaminated soil. The tank had been abandoned about 30 years ago before we bought the place and the contamination had not caused any known problems, but by law here in Ontario, it had to be "remedied."

so, do you think the previous owner had it pumped dry when it was abandoned? What was the remedy? How far out and down from the position of the tank was the "plume" of contaminated soil? How many dump truck loads of soil did you have to remove and replace with "clean soil"...that's an oxymoron isn't it?
Bill

that had leaked *in*. This had to be pumped out and hauled away for decontamination. The tank was then removed riddled with rust holes. They dug only about two feet below the bottom (about one truckload) and took samples to determine that the concentration was low enough without removing any more or using any enzyme treatment. Fortunately there are no wells here in the city or the standards would have been a lot stricter. Strangely enough the tank had been in use for only a few years before developing leaks.
Never underestimate the ability of government workers to compel you to spend your own money on things you don't think are necessary.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're right the government will not force you to clean up your property. Probably not even if you have radioactive material in your backyard. Provided no one else knows about it except you and you do enjoy your daily dose of radioactivity.
The question is, do you want to sell you house or not? If you plan to live and die in your house, have it remain the possession of your sons and daughters forever, it will not be a problem.
With the high flying real estate market, especially in NJ, well, do you want to sell your house or not, Bill?
NOW READ MY LIPS:
IT IS NOT AGAINST THE LAW IN OHIO TO HAVE ABANDONED UST AS LONG AS IT IS NOT LEAKING!
THERE WERE RANGE WARS IN THE WILD WEST CAUSED BY WATER (RIPARIAN RIGHTS) STREAMS BEING DIVERTED. I am sure pollution disturbing the potability is looked upon almost the same in today's world.
DUE TO EDDY CURRENTS CAUSED BY PEBBLES, ROCK, STONES, ETC. RUBBING AGAINST THE STEEL TANK CAUSED BY UNDERGROUND HYDROSTATIC PRESSURES CAUSE A GALVANIC REACTION THUS CAUSE RUST HOLES IN THE TANK ORIGINALLY SOLD WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY.
THE KEY WORDS ARE MIGRATION AND REMEDIATION!
DON'T WORRY THERE ARE PROCEDURES MANY DIFFERENT INTERESTED PARTIES CAN USE TO DETERMINE THE SOURCE AND DIRECTION OF MIGRATION.
AFTER MY HAVING SPENT MORE THAN $25,000 IN OHIO, THE OHIO EPA TAKES A VERY DIM VIEW ON POLLUTION OF ARTESIAN WELLS, GROUND WATER AND/OR UNDERGROUND POTABLE (Approved Drinking Water) WATER STREAMS!
IF HEATING OIL MIGRATES INTO A UNDERGROUND POTABLE WATER STREAM, YOUR STATE EPA AND YOUR IRATE & SUING NEIGHBORS THAT ARE SUPPLIED DRINKING WATER FROM THAT STREAM CAN FORCE YOU TO SPEND DOLLARS ON A REMEDIATION CLEANUP. In Ohio, you can be subject to Civil and Criminal Prosecution. This can be a stimulus to cooperate with the authorities.
AFTER YOU SPEND BUCKS ON THE REMEDIATION, THEN POSSIBLY COMES A PHASE I, II, OR III SITE INSPECTION. Trust me your's or the buyer's mortgage lender doesn't want to have a thing to do with Environmentals.
WHEN YOU SELL A PARCEL OF PROPERTY, YOUR STATE'S LEGAL SYSTEM UPON SALE MAY REQUIRE YOU TO SIGN A DOCUMENT WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE KNOWINGLY CONVEYING TITLE AND DEED TO PROPERTY WITH A EXISTING ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUE.
IF IN DOUBT, CONSULT YOUR FAMILY ATTORNEY or Consult a attorney specializing in Environmental Law.
.
Shouting is not reccomended on this news group.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Watch out...Dave will be first to answer that,and do it in a manner that confuses even he..

Yea Dave , while lying about everything else
What does Grisoft have to do with home repair?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

snip
charge wrote:

Well, he was a carpenter...
--
Spammers are people who are too lazy and cowardly to rob liquor stores, but
still want to make money by stealing instead of working.
charge wrote:

Um, okay, I'll try to remember everything you've taught me.