Underground Gutter Leader Question

Hello, A couple of years ago I paid a landscape contractor money to install 2 drywall that my gutter downspouts would discharge to. Recently I noticed that one of the gutter would not drain well during heavy rains, so I decided to look at the condidtion of the pipe that leads to the drywell, to make sure it was still pitched properly. To my total disbelief, when I dug the pipe out, it did not empty into a drywell. Instead, the end of the pipe was wrapped in a landscape fabric and the pipe discharged into the earth (not a bed pea gravel as expected) Is this a valid method ? I was alway under the impression that underground downspouts emptied into a drywell or to daylight at some lowpoint of the property.
Your impression was correct and you were apparently ripped off.