Underground Copper Wire Green?

Hi,
I'm having intermittent problems with an exterior post lamp (light sometimes works, sometimes doesn't and it's not the bulb). I pulled back the wire from the fixture itself through the post bottom, but damaged that run while removing (~6'). Upon cutting and stripping that length back at ground level so I could splice in a new wire into the post (using an underground splice kit to mate the old/new), I noticed that each copper wire of my existing wiring (black, white, ground) has a green coloring such as you'd see on copper roofs exposed to moisture. I'm guessing that water's penetrating which might explain my intermittent problem, so I've halted my repair at the moment.
Does underground wiring normally turn green, or is water somehow penetrating where it shouldn't be? House is 15 years old. Thanks!
Jim Conway wrote: ...

No and yes, sounds as if...
Good chance the original was pulled using ordinary romex used for the rest of the house rather than underground-rated cable.
Best guess from here is you're best bet is to pull a new cable using U(nderground)-rated wire.
You could try the repair and perhaps get by for a while but it's going to fail completely sooner rather than later so the effort w/o the replacement would likely be more futile than not...

Green is an indication of moisture infiltration. As a result there may be a section of the cable that is arcing between conductors which may explain the intermittent problem. Normally UF cable does not experience moisture problems unless the outer jacket has been compromised. However if the cable is regular type NM (Romex) then that would explain everything. If it is Romex you should replace the entire run.