underground cable to pool

I need to run an electric cable/conduit out to my above ground pool from the house. How deep do I need to dig the trench? The trench will be about 20 feet long.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve K

Depends on local electrical code.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Call your local electrical inspector's office and ask them. I've found them to be very helpful.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

NEC requires 18" in PVC

Reply to
RBM

I like using IMC. Usually only has to be buried 6" down, which makes the job of digging the trench really easy. Costs more than PVC, though.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

What is IMC ??

--------------------------------------

I like using IMC. Usually only has to be buried 6" down, which makes the job of digging the trench really easy. Costs more than PVC, though.

JK

Reply to
James

IMC is Intermediate Metal Conduit. It is about the same "weight" as galvanized water pipe (sched 40). My local Borg carries it.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

and also what part of the world this buried cable is in.

Reply to
Jackson

There are plenty of direct buried cables that meet codes, and in some cases they are a better option then in conduit deployments. Of course this is all based on a case by case basis.

Reply to
Jackson

In the case of serviing pool equipment there is NO direct burial cable that meets code. You can use a cable inside a dwelling but once you get outside you usually need a conduit with an insulated 12ga or larger ground. Local codes can make this rule tougher. Some AHJs want to see conduit all the way back to the panel.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not only is that incorrect, but one could argue that a conduit from load center to pool could actually cause a safety hazard in certain circumstances.

Reply to
Jackson

I didn't write article 680.21in the electrical code but this is what it says

680.21 Motors. (A) Wiring Methods. (1) General. The branch circuits for pool-associated motors shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or Type MC cable listed for the location.

(MC is not listed for direct burial)

If you think it is unsafe, write a proposal to change it

Reply to
gfretwell

There is every likelihood that you are correct, however his "above ground" pool can be a "storable pool" if it's less than 42" deep. If so, only sections 1 and 3 of article 680 pertain . 680.21 is in sec 2 of the article

Reply to
RBM

It can be a storable pool but then it is limited to using "storable pool" listed equipment. Most folks would rather do it the right way and not have to use that mickey mouse stuff the storable pool industry has.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't know anything about the quality of "storable pool" equipment. My only point is that the NEC doesn't require a conduit for an outlet supplying a storable pool pump

Reply to
RBM

A lot of people look at this and think it is a loophole to allow them to hook up their AG pool without following part II. The critical point is you can only use listed "storable pool" equipment on storable pools. This tends to be just what the name storable implies. "Storables" are pumps with 25' cords plastic body, double insulated and low enough power that they can share a circuit with whatever other loads a general lighting circuit outside may carry. A lot of these smaller storable pumps just hang over the rim of the pool. and use a filter the size of a beer can. The mere fact that he is running a circuit out to the pool implies this is not a storable pool and he wants a real pump. not this crap

gfretwell

Again, I'm not trying to speak to the quality of a listed "storable pool". There is nothing in the OP's description that tells me that it's not storable. If it happens to be " storable", he does not need to run the feed to the outlet in conduit. You made a blanket statement referring to 680.21, I'm merely saying that it doesn't apply to storable pools, even if they are "crap"

Reply to
RBM