Underfloor water leak detection

I live a new build flat (Jan 03) and have had fixed flooring placed. Natural cherry wood which is layed and then treated / varnished. The floor runs continuosly throughout the flat.

I live on the first floor and the property below has a small amount of water coming from their ceiling. The builder suspects that the leak is coming from our flat and wants to lift the floor to see. This will apparently be at my expense and as the floor will almostly certainly be damaged could be an expensive exercies, not to say disruptive.

My problem is that they do not know yet that the problem is eminating from our flat, both my flat and the one below suffered from a leak with the riser located between my flat and the one above about 4 months ago so this is not the first problem.

Is there anyway of determining if I have a leak (I have no evident damage) without lifting the floor i.e. technology etc.. Does anybody know where I stand legally ?

Thanks Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Campbell

Stuart,

It's not clear from your post why the builder wishes to approach the problem from your floor rather than the complainant's ceiling. I would, however, go with his plan since he should know about the building trades. Make clear in writing that you expect to have your flat restored after these repairs and that you will not pay any expense or assume any responsibility. Insist in knowing who will be responsible.

Good luck, Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

we used to use moisture detectors for roofing. It could tell you where the water was ponding when there was no visible moisture. Might work, but I believe you would use it from the bottom and not from your area.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Sligo

Thanks for the advice, I spoke to NHBC who have told me that if the floor was lifted and the fault was the builders then they have to restore the floor back to its original condition. If the leak has been caused by a nail etc. when the laying of the floor took place then I would have to pursue the flooring company. If however there is no fault when the floor is lifted then its my problem and I would have to foot the bill.

On this basis I will probably tell the builder that I will not allow the floor to be lifted unless they agree to restore the floor regardless of whether there is a leak. I am also tempted to tell them to source the leak from the ground up i.e. start with the flat downstairs and work their way up to me.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Campbell