Underfloor radiator

Hi,

My contractor mentioned to me (but couldn't remember the brand) that there exist hot water radiators that go between the joists on the floor below and release heat through an opening in the floor. Could someone point to a link to a radiator like that?

Thanks!

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

I bet it has a blower that consumes alot, it will raise your electric bill, why not radiant tube and a mixing valve to lower the temp.

Reply to
ransley

Because my floor is too thick? (3/4" plywood + wonderboard + thinset + tile) = 2+". Can the heat get through that?

Reply to
Sam Takoy

Yes, but not until summmertime.

Just kidding. I have no idea.

Reply to
mm

It will be fine, its also comonly embeded in concrete and your floor isnt anything abnormally thick, it will heat more evenly, under you so your feet are warm and since its under you heat is distributed more evenly. If you are considering a new high efficency boiler Ever, condensing boilers start loosing efficency as they heat water above

140, my radiators need 160-170 and radiant tube around 110f, the new highest efficency instals are radiant tube, under tile and everything.
Reply to
ransley

What happens when you lose power in the winter and all that plumbing under the floor freezes and breaks? Tear up the floors?

Reply to
LSMFT

Hopefully he has a fairly airtight and crawlspace, or a full basement and the earth, at 55F keeps the temps above freezing.

Reply to
Tony

Interesting you should mention that underfloor crawl space temperature. Our almost completely in ground, full height, uninsulated concrete and concrete floored basement rarely goes below an absolute minimum 45 degrees F, in even the coldest weather wth upstairs heating turned down low. Probably around 58 degrees upstairs at floor level. When the upstairs is heated to to around 68F considering that some heat leaks down , the unheated basement area is typically at around 50

- 55 degrees. The wood stove or plug in electric heater quickly brings the temperature to a suitable point for normal physical activity in less than an hour. The internal dimension of the basement are approx, Height 8 feet, Length 46 feet, Width 32 feet.

Reply to
terry

Also, pex will freeze but won't break. (?)

Reply to
Sam Takoy