Undercounter Lighting

We recently installed Good Earth Xenon undercabinet lights. The Xenon light were touted as lasting longer than Halogen, and as being not as hot. They were installed under the cabinets, according to the manufacturer's instructions.
I love the light they give but they do seem rather hot. Specifically when they have been on maybe an hour or so, they are warm enough that the fixtures are almost too hot to touch (I have asbestos hands), and the bottom of the cabinet above is warm, as are the bottoms of the plates in the cabinet above the light.
Is this typical with halogens? Should I be concerned about this? The cabinets are laminated particle board. Would this cause delamination?
TIA
Sue
doh! Should be undercabinet lighting in the subject line. Long day. sorry.
I have LED undercounter lights and they get hot too. Not too hot to touch but they warm the plates in the cabinet above. Just my 2 cents. Dom
--
Dom Murphy

"Sue" < snipped-for-privacy@ucsd.edu> wrote in message
On 1/11/2005 10:25 PM US(ET), Sue took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Mine are halogen and they do get hot. My wife likes to use them as auxiliary lights when the main room lights are off, despite my telling her that the bulbs cost almost $5 each to replace. But, that's another story.
--
Bill

Sue, I have installed all types of under cabinet lights and prefer the xenon over all. They do get hot,but I doubt hot enough to ignite anything,however I wouldn't place glass or combustibles to close, just as a precaution. I had an incident with halogen under cabinets,where the customer had a thick glass jar with a lid that had a glass ball on top,sitting right below the fixture. While I was standing there working, we heard a Pop, and the jar was cracked and a pot holder and a cardboard box, which were both on the counter, were in flames. These items were two feet apart from each other. Nothing else in the kitchen was on or hot at the time, noone can explain it, and I couldn't make it happen again.