Under sink water filter install ques

My kitchen is currently apart so while there's plenty of room to work my wife wants an under the sink water filter system put in. I was looking at some double filter units. The filter will go to a seperate faucet.
Will this work: Put a tee on the cold filter line (after the cut-off) with a threaded male adapter on the output that will go to the water filter. Use a metal jacketed hose to go from the adapter to the filter. Another one from the filter to the faucet (or use hoses that come with unit)
If we don't actually install the filter immediately, then is there an adaper that I can screw onto the male adapter to cap the line?
thanks
If there is enough slack, why not connect the "filtered" water line to the "T"? Then when you get the filter, put it in.
There are pipe caps, but they are for iron pipe. How about a shutoff valve from the "T" to the filter. Close it for now, then open it later, or remove it. They are cheap enough.
Pardon my plumbing ignorance, but all the models I looked at had plastic tubing with a threaded adapter, so how would it directly connect to a tee with it's 'sweat' ends? Or do they make tee's with a threaded male end?
professorpaul wrote:

Why? Seems like a PITA to have to use a special faucet. Savings in filters will be minimal.

Do you mean cold water line? If so, yes, it should work.
Another consideratin is to put the filter in the basement if you have one under the kitchen. Easier to get to compared to changing inside a sink cabinet.

Every combination of fitting imaginable is available.

I second that suggestion !
We had an under-sink filter. Changing the element was a messy job. ie; roll around on the floor, remove "stuff" from under the sink, , rassle the screw-on filter housing, mop up all the spilled water, ....
Even though it's a "once-every-6-month" job, I would put it somewhere more accessible next time.
<rj>
I was looking at a GE under the sink double filter kit that got a good rec from Consumer Reports. The filters just twist off. You replace both the filter and the housing. The replacement costs didn't seem out of line with diff models. Putting in a second faucet for it is no big deal right now as were gettign a new countertop and they'll cut the hole for it. It will only be used for drinking water which will extend the filter life.
Personally I've somehow lasted all these years drinking city tap water, but the mrs wants it and after all the costs of a new kitchen I can't see making a stand on this issue. At least I won't have to buy all those cases of bottled water anymore.
<RJ> wrote:

Depends on what your water is like. Once you use filtered water for drinking, tea, coffee, scotch, bourbon, etc, you may never go back to the regular tap water.
As for buying water, we buy maybe a case a year. My wife has to be very careful to get enough liquid intake so in warm weather we never leave the house without a bottle. Take a half bottle and put it in the freezer. When you leave, fill the bottle with the filtered tap water and you have very cold water for hours.
-snip-

I chose not to fight that battle myself. I don't think she's ever used it in 3-4 yrs. I, however, now notice the chlorine in our water so I always use it.

The 'kids' - 19 & 20- still go for the bottles. It aint the water, it's the bottle. [I buy the cheapest bottled water & figure they're ahead of the game if they aren't drinking pop.
Jim