Under Sink Cutoff Valve Tool

Sometime somewhere I saw a tool that would allow me to reach under a bathroom sink and turn off a very hard to turn cutoff valve. Believe it or not, I cannot get to the valve to turn it off unless I totally disassemble the plumbing, which I hope not to do. Does anyone know where to find that sort of tool? I don't even remember what it looked like, but it seem to have an oval pocket to engage the oval knob on the shutoff valve.
I'm sorry this explanation is not better.

Is this what you want? http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber31886-943-03811.STC3
On 1/5/2012 8:28 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

No, I'm familiar with that tool. The one I saw actually slipped over the oval knob to provide greater leverage to turn the knob.

Some of the cheaper valves have nylon stems. Even if it has a brass stem, the odds are you will break the valve by overtorquing it. You probably should plan on changing the valve.
On 1/5/2012 8:28 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

This one is not the one I saw, but it could work.
http://www.gordonwrench.com/quotes.htm
First time in ages, I laughed out loud. Thank you.
wrote in

http://tinyurl.com/6p5rv4m
I'm sorry my reply is not better.
On 1/5/2012 5:19 PM, mcp6453 wrote:

Might be better to just repair or replace the valve. I had one last summer that would turn, but not shut off the water. I shut off the water and disassembled the valve. Found the rubber washer had disintegrated and pieces were blocking the valve face from closing on the other side. Would never shut off no matter how hard I tried.
Just fix the problem before it gets worse!
Paul
mcp6453 wrote the following:

I call mine pump pliers. I hope that I break the GD, MFn, shutoff valve so it will force me to replace it with a quarter turn shutoff valve. No more "I'll do it another time". :-)
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
mcp6453 wrote:

I think what you want is called "Vice-Grips."
Turn the water off first because its possible the recalcitrant valve will disintegrate right in your face. Come to think on it, if you can turn off the main water distribution, why fiddle with this valve?
IF you do get the valve to work, when you turn the water back on, back off the valve 1/8th of a turn. The next time you have to fiddle with the valve, you can turn it in either direction to unlock the frozen part.
I recommend spending a few bucks, about half an hour, and 200 curse-words to replace the sucker with a quarter-turn ball valve.
You know, the advertising companies used to sell the benefits of products. Put a tiger in your tank, Chesterfields cure throat scratch, and the other ads. Tony the Tiger says they're grrrrrrEAT!!!!
Now days, we advertise what isn't. Caffeine free, water free, pseudoephedrine free, lead free, mercury free, cadmium free.
It's invaded usenet. Have a valve that's stick free, leak free, reduction free.
Christopher A. (middle name free) Young Learn more about (sin free) Jesus www.lds.org (pop up window free) .

pmstall new valve at more convenient location, and always install ball valves, they dont tend to freeze in location, dont leak, and dont decrease water flow

Since ball valves would have to be male valves..... What do you use if you need a female valve because of the pipe threads?
Nothing gets past a vagina valve!
Are the Chinese or Russian ones different? How, so?
Vagina valves, available at a few specialty stores. ^_^
TDD
Hook em up like Fermco couplers, except that you use fallopian tubing.
And a Gomco clamp, to cut the tubing to length. That's my tip for the day.

Darn, my mistake, it's "ovary valves" that are the equivalent of ball valves. o_O
I was in junior high once too, darn I got in a lot of trouble! ^_^
TDD

Can't anybody READ?
He can't REACH the valve because some asshat put it up behind the sink.
He didn't say anything about the valve being stuck.

I don't think anyone actually answered the question. You're correct - it's a piece of appropriately thick metal into which the outline of the standard valve handle has been milled. So it simply acts as an extension to give you more leverage on the valve.
I don't know what it's called. My wife bought it for me, and it sits unused because I have no difficulty turning the valves. She thought it looked like a neat thing to have - it's a nice shade of red.
Art