Under kitchen sink plumbing question

Hi All!

I'm having laminate kitchen counters replaced w/ silestone.

In order to have the nicest looking final result, I'd like to eliminate the "air gap" fixture that sits on top of the sink.

I've been told that it's legal in Arizona to replace the air gap with a "loop."

In looking under the sink, I noticed that the air gap fixture is connected to both the dish washer *and* the garbage disposal.

In this situation, is it possible to eliminate the air gap with a loop for both the dishwasher and the disposal? I seem to recall that in my house in California, the garbage disposal was

*not* connected to the air gap.

I don't need instructions on how to hook things up, I'll hire a plumber for that, I just want to know if what I want to do is possible before I hire a pro to actually do the work.

Clues will be gratefully accepted.

adTHANKSvance!

Simeon

Reply to
Simeon Nevel

"Simeon Nevel" wrote in news:F69Xc.9744$ snipped-for-privacy@typhoon.sonic.net:

Use of an air gap is usually governed by code. While I know they serve a purpose, I've never seen a situation where you couldn't do without it if everything else is properly installed.

A hired plumber might not be permitted to eliminate it if your local code requires it. You, OTOH, could.

Reply to
Wayne

Don't know about your local codes.

The drain line from the DW goes to the air gap and from the air gap to the disposal.

In most cases a full loop and direct connect of the DW to disposal works just as well.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If the sink side of your kitchen is up against an outside wall, and the wall is appropriately situated on your property, one solution is to punch a hole through the wall and put airgap outside. I did that with my kitchen.

Reply to
Wen-King Su

An interesting idea, but not a possibility in my set-up.

Simeon

Reply to
Simeon Nevel