under deck roofing

My contractor that built my deck has also installed a self design underdeck roofing. His father,an engineer, designed it. Basically it consists of 2x2 furring strips nailed and caulked onto the inside of the floor joists and plastic panels caulked into place between them . Then exterior plywood was installed as a ceiling. The system is leaking in several places. They have attempted to repair it twice. Now they want to use caulk to fill the spaces between all the deck floor boards. Any thoughts?
supra wrote:

In my experience, any system that relies on caulk as the primary means of preventing leaks is doomed. I would tear up the deck, put down a layer of plywood, then rubber, then sleepers, then decking. another alternative might be to use something like roofing steel for a ceiling, with provisions for drainage.

It depends where you live. In most places caulk is an inadequate way of rainproofing a roof.
Together your contractor and your designer built a roof which leaked contrary to their intentions. What has changed to suggest either would now do better what they failed to do before?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
supra wrote:

In my experience, you are doomed to have leaks in that setup. There are just too many places for water to gain access. I have seen one system used under a deck that could be used. If you were to cut sleepers (0-3" for example) and attach them to the under side of the existing deck joist (creating a reversed slope). Then use a corrugated roofing material (metal or plastic) installed in reverse to the sleepers on the underside.
-Lee

Caulk will be a temporary fix at best. In addition, the joists will rot out in time.
Bob