Uncuttable phone wires?

Page 1 of 3
Is there an acceptable (legally and to the phone company) way to install phone wires and exterior service box such that one's phone service cannot be easily disconnected by burglars, etc. without(at a minimum) noisy methods and tools?
Bill J. wrote:

The device you need is called a Cell Phone:-))
Lou

If you're going to make up a different question to the one I asked and answer the made-up question instead of mine, then why bother posting in this thread at all? Also, your answer was not helpful in any way, I am still looking for an answer which is.

Lighten up.
The forum is all about offering alternatives that the OP may not have thought of. If a poster asks about a way to carry 4 x 8 sheet goods home when all he owns is a VW, it perfectly acceptable to suggest that he cut them down to smaller sizes in the parking lot. It didn't really answer the question asked, but it may just solve the OP problem.
First off, if you are strictly talking about voice services in a residentail setting, then a cell phone could certainly be a viable option. If not, then the solution won't work for you, but there is no need to slam the person who suggested it.
Second, why don't you call the phone company in question and ask them? What the phone company in New Zealand allows might not be "accetpable" in Rhode Island. Any answers you get in this forum will need to be verified with your local TelCo anyway.

I also find it rather tedious when asking a specific question to get a "funny\\cridical" answer rather than a genuine reply to my issue. But many in usenet seem to have little self control over the manner in which they resond and I don't expect anything to change soon.

You are right. Maybe they did not grow up or have some anger issues.
I usually don't respond to those posts.
Take care, Andy

me too,
btw, I think the OP needs to stop being paranoid.

re: btw, I think the OP needs to stop being paranoid
Now I get to defend the OP.
How do you know that these phone lines aren't for the alarm system at a business or storage facility in a neighborhood where the crime rate is higher than one would like?
There could very well be a valid reason why a more robust infrastructure is required, but where enough noise would raise suspicions and therefore investigation.

You're right, there could be good reasons why. I was just being an ass.

Me too! ;-)

Me too! ;-)
Well you know what they say..... There's a little asshole in all of us! ;-)

While I agree with this statement, I don't see where that was the case here. The OP asked how to protect the phone lines. There's most likely nothing he can do that the phone company will accept that can't be disabled in 2 seconds with an ax or maybe a sledge hammer. If he has a cell phone, a burglar would have to take out one or more well hidden cell towers in the neighborhood to cut him off.
To continue the theme of uncolicited advice...
Bill, if being able to call out is part of your concern and not just your alarm system (I think the big companies have a cell modem backup option these days) the answer of course is to do both, use a locking box and conduit as someone else suggested AND a cell phone. Also, make sure you have at least one phone on your land line that will operate without wall current. You might have to order a magazine subscription to get one anymore... :)
Bill J. wrote:

Actually the answer was quite helpful. Cell alarm connections are quite common for locations where someone is concerned about a cable cut.
George wrote:

Thank You. I was not thinking about the need to protect an alarm system, but I know there is NO way to cut the "wires" from a cell phone.
Lou

Someone must have cut mine. I only have a 1/4 inch diameter stub sticking out.

[snip]

Hope the burglars forget the portable Faraday Cage...

No; but apparently there are devices that can 'jam' cell phone signals! Not sure how they work but apparently they have been used in certain secure buildings, to prevent cheating in areas where examinations are taking place, to avoid interruptions during publicly broadcast meetings etc. Maybe even in places of worship to prevent cell phones from ringing during services.
One of the 'best' scams of a wired alarm system was when some thieves introduced a stray cat into a warehouse that had had an alarm system installed or upgraded. The cat set off motion detectors. Several time during a long weekend. After the several false-alarms, the whole alarm system was turned off; to be 'repaired' the following week. Whereupon the thieves who had left a trailer backed up against an outside wall broke through and stole goods from the warehouse!
So while digressing from the OPs question there is in my opinion no way totally that an alarm sytem could be protected or by-passed. Even if encased in three feet of reinforced concrete!
And what is meant by 'legally'????
Also and finally to the OP, lighten up! Some of the humour (on this freely available and no charge for advice forum) may be juvenile; but does one want to cut off all debate/suggestions.
Have fun with it; many a good suggestion has come from a light hearted suggestion or remark.
In article <1f63bf98-f94d-4ccd-b3ec-8ca13e35b696

You can get 12 volt versions that will keep other motorists off their cell phones within 100-150 feet of your vehicle, too. Drive now, talk later.
--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Got a link?
Doug Miller wrote:

Don't bother. Even if they are available, they are highly illegal.
Our state prison system tried to install such devices and the feds had a hemorrhage.