unconventional stovepipe run to save more heat?

I have both a vermont cast iron stove and a pacific fab. steel double walled stove in our log cabin. Pacific is in the basement, vermont in the parlor.

The pacific is narrow and deep, burns all night on one load, throws tons of heat, excellent reburn action on the gases. 100% consumption of wood, burns front to back. It runs from October to April. My chimney is clean as a whistle.

The vermont is wide and narrow, looks pretty, and is a POS when it comes to heating, but looks really nice. It's also top/front load and you can make a great pot of coffee on it. I fire it up a couple times a year or during power failures in mid winter. Does a lousy job burning wood. It burns from the middle to the sides. I have to keep feeding it like a baby chick. It doesn't keep hot enough. But it looks pretty.

Previously in other houses I've had a cheap fab. steel stove and an expensive cast iron elmira stive.

So far if I'd have to do it aga> >

Reply to
Nottingham

You are free to work to change the code. You are not free to tell people to ignore code and compromise the safety of their homes. Some people don't know you and might actually listen.

RicodJour

No solar power in jail either....LOL (make it heavy so he'll listen once)

Safety first. The play with the toys under the safety rules. The rules and laws are only there because of accidents. Previous experiences that millions of people with combined intelligences much larger than your egos.

Reply to
Solar Flare

Gosh. But everyone isn't bound by your rules. Many people use physics and common sense :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Yes nick,

Physics and common sense say not to do it the Nick way. Codes are generally rewritten when someone dies, so that no more have to die. That is what common sense IS. One definition of insanity is doing things the same way and expecting different results. The codes were written because doing things your way got people killed in the past. So you want to try it again and see if maybe they just get injured this time?

Besides, the codes are not just my rules, they are everyones rules. Except yours, that is. If someone told you not to stand under a steel beam that was falling, your dying words would be "I disagree"

Discussing things like safety with you is a waste of time.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Wrong. It's a free country, with free speech, and some people are freer

than others and like to make their own decisions about their own lives.

Nick

Yes Nick, you are free to tell people to do stupid stuff that can get them killed. The question is why do you continue to do that. With freedom comes responsibility, which you refuse to excersize. This is a help type newsgroup and you seem to want to make it a hurt type newsgroup. I wonder why. Is it because it is the only way you have to feed your ego?

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Wrong. It's a free country, with free speech, and some people are freer than others and like to make their own decisions about their own lives.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Wave that freedom flag. That should help your case and rally the masses behind you. Yeah, right.

When you're 15 years old freedom means the ability to do anything you want without being told what to do. When you're an adult (look it up) freedom means the ability to do what you should without being prevented from doing it.

If you want to modify your house, compromise your safety, and kill your family - knock yourself out. I refer to people such as yourself as the self-cleaning gene pool. If we're lucky, the house will burn down and some unsuspecting sap won't be saddled with your "improvements" in the name of efficiency.

RicodJour

snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote in news:dfvdjh $ snipped-for-privacy@acadia.ece.villanova.edu:

More than not, actually. "Bound" is not a very crisp or clearcut word.

"physics-the study of matter and energy"

Ok, what you're really talking about is the application:

"(n) technology, engineering (the practical application of science to commerce or industry)"

So people don't use physics which is a study, they engineer heating devices. I don't think you can actually call the device portrayed on the web page very well engineered. It appears to me to be more of an artsy-fartsy piece designed to sell an article but having little to no practical value.

If you want artsy stuff watch Mag Ruffman's PBS series. At least she doesn't promote building unsafe things likely to kill you.

Sheldon Harper

Most people can tell Nick is quite eccentric by his posting style and would still follow their own logical thinking anyway.

If one cannot think past the gobble-dee-gook for one's own safety then one will eventually harm oneself anyway. It won't take Nick or anybody else here to do that for people "in over their heads".

I don't like Nicks posting style or attitude sometimes but he still is a very thinking, inquisitive and interesting guy and adds a lot to these groups in ideas.

I feel it is enough for others to slip in a safety reminder when one of us forgets or violates the laws/rules with advise. The flames aren't necessary. Give the readers soem credit for a few brains.

Reply to
Solar Flare

CAN last - or you can get caught out like I was. My first cast iron stove was great, it was Scottish I think 'Esse' brand, but it was a cooker with so much hot water boiler around the firebox it never even got the kitchen warm, never mind the rest of the house. So I replaced it with a locally made one 'stainless chrome nickel cast iron specially formulated' stove - slow combustion etc... after 4 years the foundry that made it had been sold, the company who had bought them up had been sold, and I was left with a stove that had a half inch open crack all the way up and down one side that I could certainly not get parts for any more. Cast can be tricky!

I now have a new stove and it so happens it's 1/4 inch boilerplate steel, welded. Performance is just as good as the cast stove, and while the [ceramic baffles] inside have deteriorated in two heating seasons, the steel is as good as new.

-Peter

Reply to
Peter Huebner

You don't seem to know much about physics. Nor common sense? Gas stoves and pellet stoves use counterflow chimneys...

Codes are often rewritten when manufacturers want to make money.

Then stop.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

So file a complaint with the Internet Speech Police.

Nick is a great resource for learning basic concepts and for bringing to Usenet, many excellent under-publicized efficient schemes. We also can praise the fact that he doesn't claim authorship of other people's ideas.

As in all of life, it's buyer beware about the details.

When all is said and done, Nick never tries to sell any bad products. Which puts him a step ahead of a significant fraction of the commercial marketplace.

Nick doesn't try to present connect-the-dot solutions. In point of fact, his presentations are often VERY obscure and require a lot of study.

So there isn't really any danger that Joe Sixpack is gonna suffocate his own family with CO2 emissions based on anything Nick has ever written.

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

Carbon monoxide is more of a danger, but very remote, IMO, given

2 CO detectors. One of my 2 Nighthawks has battery backup.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Are by chance Nicks significant other that you love him so much?

Dances wrote: When all is said and done, Nick never tries to sell any bad products. Which puts him a step ahead of a significant fraction of the commercial

marketplace.

The humidex exhaust fan is a bad idea that nick promotes along with the high resistance air filters. Since he doesn't actually work on any of this stuff in actual installations, he is selling products that he does not know the effects of. It is nice that he is an electrical engineer. Maybe he should stick with wires. Being able to do theory does not mean he has any practical knowledge. Yes, he sometimes has interesting ideas, but to push them the way he does makes no sense when they could often be dangerous to implement.

stretch

Reply to
Stretch

No. Unlike Smart Vents, Humidex is overpriced and needs better controls. I have no business relationship with either company.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Reply to
Solar Flare

"Solar Flare" , rattled the chain with:

So that is how you disown any responsibility for the BS you post being believed by the reader. Pontius Pilate = Not My Problem , huh.

Nicks is a true fucktard, has been for years. You , G00n, work that poor sap to the Max,,, in elongating the spiel for your own twisted glee. Standard stuff for you. Pick on the brainless and egotistical for *your* free ride.

I do believe this description belongs at your stoop. " I refer to people such as yourself as the self-cleaning gene pool."

--ricodjourATworldemail.com

FOAD Troll.... ...nuff said.

Reply to
Lectr0Nuis

It's difficult to cut straight after nine or ten empty cans...

mike

Reply to
m II