unconventional stovepipe run to save more heat?

Page 2 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If appearance isn't a big issue: <http://www.electricrailroad.com/Stove/Stove.html
"Harry Chickpea" wrote in message

I need to go see my building inspector to ask some questions...
I printed out a copy of the above stove. I think I'll show him the picture and tell him I have my stove in. Then ask if he thinks my installation is ok. Maybe do the same for my insurance guy! (They will get a kick out of this.)
FYI - I have had to get an EPA certified wood stove, install a hearth pad which has an R-value minimum of 1.5, have 14 inches space from stove to wall (depends on stove model), have 18 inches of hearth pad in front of stove, 8 inches of hearth pad on sides of stove, and a U.L. cert. stainless steel chimney system installed to code.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you join the pipe sections so that the creosote runs down inside the section below it and into the stove you will eliminate the mess, and even further impede the air flow like you want to. But your house is still likely to burn down.
Gio

Maybe you need to look around some more. There are a lot of expensive very nice-looking air-tight woodstoves. However, I bought ours for about $700 (Canadian!) 3 years ago at our local hardware store. It's an EPA rated air-tight that performs very well It doesn't have all the fancy trim, but still has a nice glass door that stays clean for many days thanks to the "air wash" system.
-- Bert Menkveld

Or periodically replaced... 3 5' lengths of galvanized pipe should do.

Nah. Use a $5 muffin fan. This goes on the OUTSIDE of the door.

La di dah. Life is dangerous. Use a CO detector or two.
Nick
La di dah. Life is dangerous. Use a CO detector or two.
Nick
Yes Nick, if you live like that LIFE is dangerous. How about if I nominate you for the Darwin award now so you can enjoy the award in the short time you have left. Perhaps you should read the code section on flues for wood burning appliances.
Stretch
PS, I once saw a guy use galvanized flue pipe on his wood stove when I lived in Pennsylvania. He had ordered the stainless steel triple wall that he needed, but it was slow in arriving. The galvanized stuff lost the galvanized coating the first time he fired the stove, and the flue ate through in less than a week. He was lucky he didn't burn his house down. CO poisoning was the least of his worries.
Ditto. You are playing with fire.

Codes ensure safety, but they also ensure spending lots of money and wasting energy. They show little understanding of heatflow.
Nick
So Nick,
You want to be rich and dead? Maybe you can get them to put a U-Haul behind your hearse!
In my business, safety is very important. If I didn't follow code, I coould get sued. Someone could get hurt, sick or die. That would be a bad thing! If you don't care about ketting killed by your contraption, make one operate like your post said. Then if you live till next year, let us know how it worked. For me, I want both as much safety as possible and as much efficiency as possible. I also like stuff to last a long time. It is better for me AND my customers.
If a sheet metal flue needed replaced every two weeks, that would cost my customer a lot more than he saved on energy. Especially if the wood was free for the chopping, which it aften is.
I always consider safety very important, dead customers do me no good!
Besides, if you get someone killed. you can go to jail as negligent homicide for a few years. How much research will you do in jail? I know that would be a tough way for me to feed my family!
Stretch
No solar power in jail either....LOL (make it heavy so he'll listen once)
Safety first. The play with the toys under the safety rules. The rules and laws are only there because of accidents. Previous experiences that millions of people with combined intelligences much larger than your egos.

Gosh. But everyone isn't bound by your rules. Many people use physics and common sense :-)
Nick
Yes nick,
Physics and common sense say not to do it the Nick way. Codes are generally rewritten when someone dies, so that no more have to die. That is what common sense IS. One definition of insanity is doing things the same way and expecting different results. The codes were written because doing things your way got people killed in the past. So you want to try it again and see if maybe they just get injured this time?
Besides, the codes are not just my rules, they are everyones rules. Except yours, that is. If someone told you not to stand under a steel beam that was falling, your dying words would be "I disagree"
Discussing things like safety with you is a waste of time.
Stretch

You don't seem to know much about physics. Nor common sense? Gas stoves and pellet stoves use counterflow chimneys...

Codes are often rewritten when manufacturers want to make money.

Then stop.
Nick
snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote in wrote:

More than not, actually. "Bound" is not a very crisp or clearcut word.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mores http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folkways_%28sociology%29

"physics-the study of matter and energy"
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/spaces/vocabulary.html
Ok, what you're really talking about is the application:
"(n) technology, engineering (the practical application of science to commerce or industry)"
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=engineering
So people don't use physics which is a study, they engineer heating devices. I don't think you can actually call the device portrayed on the web page very well engineered. It appears to me to be more of an artsy-fartsy piece designed to sell an article but having little to no practical value.
If you want artsy stuff watch Mag Ruffman's PBS series. At least she doesn't promote building unsafe things likely to kill you.
http://www.homeenvy.com/mag_ruffman.html

You are free to work to change the code. You are not free to tell people to ignore code and compromise the safety of their homes. Some people don't know you and might actually listen.

Wrong. It's a free country, with free speech, and some people are freer than others and like to make their own decisions about their own lives.
Nick
Wrong. It's a free country, with free speech, and some people are freer
than others and like to make their own decisions about their own lives.
Nick
Yes Nick, you are free to tell people to do stupid stuff that can get them killed. The question is why do you continue to do that. With freedom comes responsibility, which you refuse to excersize. This is a help type newsgroup and you seem to want to make it a hurt type newsgroup. I wonder why. Is it because it is the only way you have to feed your ego?
Stretch
Most people can tell Nick is quite eccentric by his posting style and would still follow their own logical thinking anyway.
If one cannot think past the gobble-dee-gook for one's own safety then one will eventually harm oneself anyway. It won't take Nick or anybody else here to do that for people "in over their heads".
I don't like Nicks posting style or attitude sometimes but he still is a very thinking, inquisitive and interesting guy and adds a lot to these groups in ideas.
I feel it is enough for others to slip in a safety reminder when one of us forgets or violates the laws/rules with advise. The flames aren't necessary. Give the readers soem credit for a few brains.

So that is how you disown any responsibility for the BS you post being believed by the reader. Pontius Pilate = Not My Problem , huh.
Nicks is a true fucktard, has been for years. You , G00n, work that poor sap to the Max,,, in elongating the spiel for your own twisted glee. Standard stuff for you. Pick on the brainless and egotistical for *your* free ride.
I do believe this description belongs at your stoop. " I refer to people such as yourself as the self-cleaning gene pool." --ricodjourATworldemail.com
FOAD Troll.... ...nuff said.

Wave that freedom flag. That should help your case and rally the masses behind you. Yeah, right.
When you're 15 years old freedom means the ability to do anything you want without being told what to do. When you're an adult (look it up) freedom means the ability to do what you should without being prevented from doing it.
If you want to modify your house, compromise your safety, and kill your family - knock yourself out. I refer to people such as yourself as the self-cleaning gene pool. If we're lucky, the house will burn down and some unsuspecting sap won't be saddled with your "improvements" in the name of efficiency.