Unbreakable pipe (freeze proof)

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I disagree as another poster said "right answer, wrong question" equal no solution

the pipe, and that is all that I was asking for. <<<<<<
yes, you "could" BUT you aren't.....you're here on planet earth with drainage problem
Also it seems you are assuming that freezing was (is) the relevant issue. Drains that drain properly don't freeze, seems like drainage is the issue not freezing.
Providing a solution that survives freezing seems like the wrong anwser, esp witha small diameter pipe
but hey , "The details of where or why are irrelevant"
cheers Bob

I don't care about drainage. That's his problem. If his property doesn't drain it won't affect me. I only care that his drainage pipe won't rupture and affect me. So the details of his drain are irrelevant.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Except when the system doesn't work properly and affects you
You are beyond help.
I wish you good luck, you're gonna need it..
cheers Bob

EXACTLY AS YOU STATED......When his pipe breaks( it doesn't work properly) it effects me, otherwise it doesn't effect me.

You are the one that can't comprehend what I am saying so I'll spell it out for you.
His natural drainage without underground piping or with a plugged line or with undersized piping will not effect me. My property can handle the water when it's spread out in a natural way. I can only be effected by his water if the pipe he runs ALL of the water through breaks because it is close to my property line and I am downhill from him.
If you can't understand that then........
"I wish you good luck, you're going to need it."
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Be sure & let us know how this all works out. I can't wait. :)
cheers Bob

So, he has installed a system that negatively affects you. Sue him.

Thank you for your help but at this time your recommendations are not needed.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Well, if it freezes, it isn't going to do much good draining if there is a source that isn't frozen as could easily be the case in many situations.
What are you draining to have some context for a reasonable solution? What amount of water does it have to carry?
But, if it is open and a straight run, it's unlikely freezing will actually cause a heavy walled (Sch 40 or greater) pipe to break as there would be an open end for expansion relief. Whether a solid pipe is even needed is, of course, an open question (pun sorta' intended.. :) )

If it does freeze then some sort of heat tape would be required, but if it was unbreakable it can't cause a bog to form.

It is 4 inch PVC right now but it can be made smaller to just accommodate continuous drainage as opposed to part time rainstorm volume.

A 100 foot pipe is to long to allow all of the expansion to be accommodated by the open end.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Fail to understand the logic here. Making it smaller is almost guaranteed to increase the likelihood of a solid blockage if it does freeze as well as making the wall proportionally thinner. Making it larger (or adding a parallel would seem more advantageous).
But, you still don't explain enough about what the water source is or the configuration to make a rational answer of an overall solution rather than trying to solve a specific question which is only a subset of the actual problem.
As someone else noted, a perforated drain line (it's that black corrugated stuff they use in backfills around basements where the purpose in that case of the perforations is for water ingress to be carried away by the pipe) in a gravel-filled trench _might_ solve the problem. Sufficient grade to make the water flow so it doesn't ever stand in the pipe to freeze solid enough to break is also possibly another. Not enough info to really know much more specific to suggest.

An open end is unconstrained... :)

There is a continual flow of water. If that can be maintained then a one inch pipe will do good enough. If it plugs or freezes that will be alright as long as it doesn't leak underground and cause a bog.

This drainage system is a flawed system from my uphill neighbor. (Pool backwash, Funneled backyard slope to a manhole cover, Downspouts, Sump pump, Stupid engineering/neighbor) I don't care if it freezes or plugs as long as it doesn't break underground and saturate my downhill property.
swimming pools in buffalo ny not permitted to backwash onto neighbor's lawn. maybe your local building inspector is your best local advisor on this assorted drainage problem. if mosquitoes can breed in any standing water other health problems occur. [west nile virus, popping up in ny state] refer to cdc website for your local risk on that.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I have the TWP's building supervisor involved also. I am taking a multi path approach to getting this solved. The one path I haven't looked into is notifying the DNR (dept of Natural Resources). Unknowingly my neighbor is putting his pool waste, downspout, backyard runoff and sump pump waste into the ground water supply/water table. We all use wells around here and my guess is the DNR would have the biggest beef about what is occurring.